Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen:

Just came to my attention that the so-called third brake light--the one in the middle of the spoiler above the license plate--has not been working. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that this light comes on whenever the parking or headlights are illuminated, at which time it glows brighter when the brake pedal is depressed.

I carefully pried off the little rectangular black cover under the spoiler and figured out how to twist the socket for removal. It appears that it's the original bulb that has never been replaced, and I noted that the filament was not blown. From as best as I can tell, the bulb is a #67 bayonet type. The base of the bulb was badly corroded, so I burnished it with 80 grit sandpaper, and I did the same to the three contacts on the trunk lid & their corresponding striking points when the trunk is closed. The three license plate lights now work, and the third brake light works intermittently. Sometimes I will have to smack the spoiler a few times for the light to sort of flicker on, and when backed up against a mirror, I can see that stepping on the brake pedal may make it light brighter a few times in a row, but eventually it stops and then starts again.

Is there somewhere else in the circuit I might need to check, or are the 3 contact points not sufficiently clean?

Thanks for any/all tips.

·
Registered
80 Posts
On my spiders I replaced the contacts with wires that run along the lid and hinge. Makes for a more trouble free circuit.
Other that that may need to clean the socket.
Light should only work with the brakes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts