Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 3 5 gears are not working. My 86 Spider will let me shift into gears 1 3 5, and it feels like it is engaging, but pops out of those gears when the clutch is released. 2 4 R all work fine. Thoughts? I think it started when the new alternator was installed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Is the rubber boot interfering, it doesn't take much to push the stick out of gear?
You might try leaving it in third when the car is parked to ease this up?
Heard that transmission mount failure might also affect shifting in this way.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
The bent pieces shown in your photograph are not the transmission mount that third spider was referring to. The damaged pieces in your picture (steel brackets painted black) should be connected to each other by a couple of bolts and rubber bushings, and that unit/assembly is only used as a support bracket for the middle exhaust section.

It may or may not have been damaged by the service technicians that replaced your alternator. It could have been damaged when the car bottomed out on a rough road.

But if, indeed, the shop used that for a jacking point, (a) never take your alfa to that shop again, and (b) while that bent bracket does appear unsightly, it has nothing 'directly' to do with how the gearbox sits in the chassis or affects your shifting, other than to indicate that something else (that does control the gearbox placement) is probably also affected and is the cause of your inability to stay in the 'upper' shift pattern gears.

In other words, as third spider suggests, you need to look closely at the silent block (rubber bushing) installed in the base of the shift tower, and the crossmember that it bolts to.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Thank you! Good call, transmission mount looks like it was used as jacking point. Any idea if replacement parts are available, or do I need to have this one bent back into shape?
Sorry. After looking at your photo again, it is clear that your crossmember is quite dented, which is definitely the cause of your issue. You should be able to find a used crossmember and exhaust bracket at a number of wrecking yards, like Alfa Parts Exchange in California.

Get the repair shop that ruined yours to pay for the replacement parts, but don't let them install them!

·
Registered
247 Posts
That's quite a mangled mess. The crossmember bolts to two brackets which are welded to the underside of the floor. In addition to replacing the crossmember as Norseman suggests, you may also have to pull these brackets back into shape if pushed in. While there think about replacing donut and transmission mount rubber bush. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
15,010 Posts
I have a straight cross member and part of the exhaust bracket. You can have them both for $20 + shipping.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts