Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several posts on adapting Milano transmissions to GTVs and the challenges of converting the speedo sender output to work with the GTV-6 speedometer.
The process is well documented; one needs a Milano sender, Jaeger amplifier and Dakota Digital box to make it work with the GTV speedo.
But, what if one uses an '86 GTV-6 transmission in '85 chassis? My understanding is that the '86 speedometer sender has a built-in amplifier circuit. Does that mean all I have to do is use the Dakota box to condition the signal to be compatible with the '85 speedometer? No additional amplifier required?

·
Premium Member
15,015 Posts
I installed an '86 GTV6 sender in a Milano transmission which was installed in an 84 GTV6 and it needed the Dakota Digital box, so I expect that you will also need one. It did not need a Jaeger amplifier.

·
Premium Member
15,015 Posts
Aren’t the 86 and Milano senders the same?
They produce the same pulse frequency for a given speed. Working 86 senders are rare as they had a high failure rate. Milano senders are very robust as they only contain a coil of wire, the electronics being in the "amplifier" box. I have repaired several amplifiers and in every case the output transistor was blown which I think has been caused by accidentally shorting the output to ground while energized. That same mistake would blow an 86 sender but they are not easily repaired.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts