Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery is good, tried 3 different ones.
Voltage 14.3V, after one crank voltage less than 12V, 2 cranks and battery is dead. Starter cranks fine.

Has had regular maintenance by seasoned Alfa mechanic. Tuned and good until now. Just can't afford to take it back at the moment.

I think I flooded it at one point, I could smell gas, guess that means fuel pump works. Fresh fuel.

Newer stuff; cap, rotor, plugs, fuel filter, etc. (via mechanic)

Visual inspection good, no bad hoses or air leaks found. Connections look good. Fuses all good. New battery cables.

What else to look for?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The way you describe the battery voltage drops, I'd almost guess that the starter has some kind of short or fault in the solinoid or mabe even the winding.

I can't imagine much of anything else that would pull a battery down that quickly unless mabe there's something majorly hosed in the alternator and it's being whipped via that route. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
If it is the starter, you should be able to confirm this by doing a push start. (Don't forget to switch the key to the run position when you let out the clutch.)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Push start will confirm....Make sure you have to have a charged battery before you push start to power your ECU and FI computer.

Key in 'run' position!!! I onced pushed my wifes car back and forth down the street before thinking to ask her about key position....

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know you tried 3 batteries, but 600 amps from a battery getting drained right away will make some bad things happen. So I have to say the starter is probably not draining the battery (not a good battery) in a couple cranks. If there is such a short in the starter, the amperage draw from a "good" battery would be so HUGE that a fire would probably start.

The battery is more likely bad and has internal problems. To check, charge the battery and crank it over 2x. Feel the battery cables right away. If you are getting battery drain, they will be HOT! If they are cool...bad battery.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the push start worked. She fired right up. However, there is a bad gear grinding noise with or without clutch/tranny use. Is it possible the starter or the solenoid (since one appears to be bad) could be partially engaged and interfering with the transmission? If so, can I pull the starter and push test again without it? Will this work or am I just gonna dump fluid all over the ground? Assuming it works the issue would be gone. If not then I have a tranny problem.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
It would interfere with the ring gear, if there was interference.

If you are not moving and the clutch is depressed, you can pretty well rule out the trans as a problem.

Could it be a flywheel sensor rubbing? Or starter gear not retracting fully? Starter and solenoid are one unit, looks like you need to remove it...YUK...., get tips from He3ro he is the most recently experienced! LOL...

TTFN Elio

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think it may be an engine ground problem. Using jumper cables attach one side to a metal portion of the engine and the other to a bare metal spot on the chassis. Try starting. I had the same symptoms. The original braided ground was in place and looked fine but apparently since 1986 is oxidized and lost the ground. Its at least an easy test to see if that is the problem. Also check the negative battery ground to the chassis to make sure it is clean.

I have been told that 90% of the time the problem you are trying to solve relates to a grounding issue.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
17,703 Posts
can I pull the starter and push test again without it? Will this work or am I just gonna dump fluid all over the ground?
You won't dump any fluids out of the engine or transmission. But you'll have to deal with some live electrical connections that'd normally be connected to the starter motor.

If you have the starter motor out an auto electrical shop can easily test it for you.

Do you have the proper 'shouldered bolt' for the starter motor installed? See the tech page at IAP's web site for info. That shouldered bolt is what properly aligns the starter motor so it engages the flywheel ring gear properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts