Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A colleague with an 86 Quad needs to replace the starter motor. I have done the job on my 79 spider with Webers and it was fairly easy but things are much more cramped on the Quad. What is the best approach?
Thanks,
Ed Prytherch, Columbia SC
74 GTV
79 Spider
88 Verde

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can get to it if you move the coolant reservoir and go in from the front to get it in position. There is a good bit of room under the intake manifold. I usually have the car on jack stands and bolt it up from underneath.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
First, from the engine compartment, you'll need to unbolt the battery cable from the starter, & remove the upper-most starter bolt. This is the hardest one to get at on one of these cars. You'll need a 1/4" drive 13mm flex socket & some long extentions. Remove the coolant bottle to gain access under the plenum. Remove the distributor cap as it will get in the way of your ratchet. An open end 16mm wrench will hold the bolt on the other side. If you need a little more clearance from the firewall, use a floor jack on the transmission. This will swing the rear of the motor up & away from the firewall a bit.

Once you have the top one off, do the rest of the job from under the car. In order to allow for easy starter removal, remove the front right wheel, & then unbolt the idler box from the body of the car. In case you've never done this, it is fastened with three 17mm bolts. With the idler box unbolted, you can lower the center steering link without altering alignment & without risking damage to the tie rod end. Also, disconnect the horizontal throttle rod from the linkage near the firewall. With these things out of the way, you can remove the sholder bolt & the lower-most starter bolt from the starter, & withdraw the starter from under the car.

There are other ways to do this job, but I've found this to be the quickest.

·
Premium Member
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot. That is great detail.
Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts