Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem starting my 86 spider, I retimed the vehicle TDC/Lobes facing out/distribuitor at #1 cylinder. No pop or starting activity even with starting fluid sprayed into intake. I have not changed spark plug order. Spark activity but no way to check if it is correct.The motor was rebuilt by a local mechanic (5 years ago) that I lost confidence in after he tried unsuccesfully to turn the distributor, and I had it towed back to my house. The question that I have and I have not seen in previous forums threads is.... Can the flywheel be put on the motor in the wrong position. Can it be 90/180/270 degrees off? I understand there is a mark on the flywheel for TDC and the sensors. Before I take the tranny off can I get some suggestions? I have checked all other items swapping parts with my 85 spider which is running fine ALL Thank you in advance, I will not outsource rebuilds in the future, I rebuilt the 85 successfully by myself this summer after local help to get it running 2 years ago(thank you Skip).

Joe

·
Administrator
17,984 Posts
Lots of DIY info about the L-jetronic system available in the link in my signature. I suggest you check everything - L-jet is a system and all the bits have to work for it to run.

And, yes the flywheel can be installed in any of six positions (but only one is right...).

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Boning up the L-Jet system is a must (which includes the ignition system).

Might I suggest before pulling the gearbox is to check the firing order (1,3,4,2 clockwise). If okay, find, borrow, buy a timing light and check the timing.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Just as an aside, the rotor cannot be turned an the bosch spiders...it has nothing to do with ignition timing...ignition timing is set from the ECU and manifold vacuum.
You don't say if you have spark.
Has this motor run in the last five years since rebuild?
Ciao for now, Elio

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
The idea to check the timing is to see whether the flywheel is properly installed. If the timing is correct, no need to pull the gearbox.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info about the flywheel. the firing order is correct that was a easy check. I didn't think about the timing light since the distributor/timing is set. The mechanic was able to turn the original distributior to try to fix the problem, I fired him. My last choice is the flywheel and its sensors, the sensors are good and wired correctly. I saw a note somewhere about the flywheel having a mark on it for TDC when assembleing the engine. I'm looking for anything right now. It has not started since attemped rebuild.

Joe

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ghnl, eric I read your link to the bosch spider system. very good article I wish I had seen it a couple of years ago when toying with my 85, its problem was previous owner had moved wire#1 from EFI box to wrong side of the coil and both flywheel sensors bad. Also FYI my 85 has a inertia switch. I have a new problem w/86 no fuel pressure will get back to you on a new thread when that issue is fixed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts