Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is purely a shot in the dark as I believe the speedo systems were unique to the 86 year. So looking for a KMH speedo for an 86 GTV6.

Thank you,

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Carson
I should have a couple of these. I know I have a NOS kmh unit, not sure the year. I know I also have a kmh unit that you could use the face from.
I don't know where they are at this exact moment (strange times...) but next time I'm in the shop I can look.
I'm in the Detroit area. Today is nice, but I think you and I both are waiting for true spring weather!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Definitely consider Rob's new unit first. But if that doesn't work out I have a used 240 KPH speedo from Europe. That seems to equate to approx 150 MPH. The depth of the body on mine is long like the earlier 1981-'83 US speedos. So I have my doubts on the sending unit in an '86 working with it. As Rob said, if you found the face plate with the numbers on it (to buy, or borrow for creating a copy) you could convert your US unit to KPH. But that wouldn't satisfy your goal on the odometer numbers. Rob's new speedo is your best bet.

Peter

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I believe you are correct in that the 86 speedometer is different from the others. I seem to recall that it has something to do with the sending unit, so the 85 unit may not work for you. Your best bet is either an 86 unit or the face plate. Planetmojo2 or racingswim2006 can address this better than I can.
Unfortunately, there aren't many 86's around. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
139 Posts
For what it's worth, the faceplate swap worked well on my car, since the resolution seems to be the same on MPH and KM/H speedos. I didn't want to swap the odo to avoid any potential paperwork issues down the road (registration, insurance, carproof, etc), but that may not matter where you are..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts