Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm restoring my 86 GTV6 in factory champagne gold. The car was somewhat sumbleached over the years, but now is stripped and in primer.

Is all of the ground effects, air dam, grill, tea tray, bumper ends, and trim around the windows and doors the same color (black)?? It seems as if some of the trim is grey, like the C pillar between the doors and rear window, but this could be years of sun. I really can't tell if the grill was grey or black, it kinda looks two-tone. The 86 is the year with the black bumpers.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
On the later cars, the trim around the windows was a gray metallic. The rest of the stuff (as you observe) was black.

Some find the black looks better everywhere. The gray can look a little odd...

Hopefully someone will post a before/after!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I redid mine in all black. It looks WAY better. Unless you are a stickler for concours originality, I would do the B pillar in black. It's aesthetically much nicer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.... is the grill black?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
i dunno about painted..i think the "gloss" on the trim parts makes the cars lose some character almost to the point of being childishly silly...atleast on some cars..and ESPECIALLY black cars

...when i get to that point ill go with a satin or flat "washable" flat like that used on ratrods and high end exotics so that the black has a nice contrast and retains the "plastic" look to it

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The 'black' trim on GTV6s uses several different materials, which all age and discolor at different rates. Where the car lived, AZ vs MN, can obviously affect this too. The bumper aprons are horizontal, so they feel the effect more than a rocker shirt, that is more shaded from direct sunlight. Just stating the obvious.

But the one thing that was not mentioned above is that decision of black vs grey should also include the base color of the body. Black may be too extreme of an accent against some body colors, and not others.

I've had nearly a dozen GTV6s over the years. My most recent project will address that issue. I'll be painting all the trim the same shade of black or grey (satin, not gloss) to reduce the multitude of black and grey variant shades to... ONE accent color throughout. Door handles, air dam, tea tray, etc, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
86 GTV-6 trim color

I have two 86 GTV-6 cars in champagne beige metallic. When I repainted the trim, I used black on all of it. This is a good black paint to use:

SEM Products - Catalog - TRIM BLACK

Just the right amount of matte/sheen to it, and it blends well with earlier coats.

Charlie Koster

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:)Thanks so much everyone, we're about to go to color this week or next!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts