Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a tear or two in the passenger seat bottom; am told that these seats are vinyl instead of leather. Anyone out there had any success with a repair kit or special glue to fix the tear? ChiefBre

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry, I have no experience w repairing, but I had my recovered locally for $600. If you can afford it, it's the way to go.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,452 Posts
For small holes and tears I've had good luck with those vinyl repair kits: the ones that use liquid vinyl you spread into place and then melt with a heating iron and a patterned template. It works best if you have a simple color like black, otherwise mixing the pigment to match is a real challenge. Something like this, though there are a lot of options out there:

If the tears are large or it's coming apart at the seams then you're likely hosed and replacement would be your best option. You can also get adhesive vinyl/leather patches if you're desperate.

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
756 Posts
I tired some Gorilla duct tape. The extra strong "permanent" one they sell. Cleaned the area with alcohol and let the tape bond for a couple days before use. Seems to be holding up. Much better than standard duct tape. The 84 I recently bought had some rather bad holes/tears/rips in the leather. Not a simple cut or rip.

No, it does not match. But it did not cost $600 either. It will do for now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
A few years ago I had a big tear in the drivers seat cushion of my 87 Graduate. Took the seat to a small upholstery shop in Hawthorne NJ. I don't remember the exact cost but it might have been $200. I don't know how but he matched the new vinyl to the old. The only new vinyl is the pleated part of the seat bottom. The side cushions and the entire back of the seat are original to the car.
Money well spent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts