Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been an owner for a couple of years, and have graduated from a tinkerer to a pretend mechanic because the city I live in (Bloomington, IN) doesn't have a knowledgeable Alfa resource. So I've worked my way through the L-Jetronic bible published on this forum, and after replacing the tank fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, and various other hoses, the car ran great.

Recently, I installed a fan shroud and because of a dumb mistake, I ended up having to replace the alternator fan belt. That seemed to go well until the engine died after about 10 minutes. It started after a few minutes, idled ok then died again after running great for another 10 minutes.

I then noticed that I had failed to tighten the clamp securing the plenum to the air flow sensor. This fix seemed to work, but after an hour the process began again. Further investigation turned up a air filter box clamp that had worked itself loose, and (another dumb mistake) the air filter had been installed upside down.

After these fixes, the engine runs great for around 2 hours before the problem returns. Since the edges of the air filter are pretty beat up, I'm hoping a properly installed replacement will fix the problem (extra air causing the computer to shut down - just a guess) for good.

Any other ideas other than the fuel system relay? I'm guessing that since it all worked well until I started taking things apart, the problems are centered around my putting it all back together. Thanks

·
Registered
what part?
10,516 Posts
have you tryed a new fuel filter? sound like what you are haveing is a fuel problem, runs for a while ,shuts down.. bet if you look under the car, you have the org. fuel filter on it, good news,, pep boys, kragens etc. carry this filter.......perhapes i should ' read' the whole post, sorry..

·
Registered
what part?
10,516 Posts
ok, had a thought. run a long jumper wire to the fuel pump under the car.. tape it to the body run the car around. see if it quits, if not,, fuel pump relay

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Starting with the cheap and easy, carefully check all the vacuum lines and air leaks first. Bosch is fussy about this. As Bianchi1 says, a dirty fuel filter could be a problem, also cheap and easy. Toyota interchanges. I'd be surprised if a relay failed. Rust in the fuel tank may foul a new filter pretty fast?

·
Registered
what part?
10,516 Posts
if all else fails.... this is drastic.. not many have tryed this..... not for the week hearted.... get 1 rubber chicken.....on a full moon night...... going around you car counter clockwise.... naked( or as close as you want to be).. chanting any old italian monk chant.. do this for 20 mins.. all will be fine..( thats if your neibours don't call the cops, and you get a nice white suit, with the pockets in the back)...

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The air filter being installed upside down and running the engine means your air filter is a lot cleaner now. Not a good thing, you know where it all went.

Of course you do need a good air filter in there but any air leaking around the filter still goes through the AFM (air flow meter) so there will not be any air measurement issues related to this. If the flexible intake duct has cracks in it, usually at the ends near the clamps or in the bellows part, this can cause problems as air enters the engine which did not pass throught the AFM so the fuel ECU doesn't know to add more fuel. You may have to look close and flex it some to get the crack(s) to open and show themselves.

Be sure the connection to the AFM on top of the air filter box is clipped on well.

·
Administrator
17,624 Posts
I think I recall that if one of the flywheel sensors is faulty it can act as you describe.

And I agree that you must make sure the wire harness connector is plugged into the AFM. Also - peek inside the plug to make sure none of the electrical connectors are displaced.

·
Administrator
17,624 Posts
get 1 rubber chicken.....on a full moon night...... going around you car counter clockwise.... naked...
thanks for the quality advice. I'm going with the rubber chicken.
In this case I am going against my usual request and will ask for NO pictures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts