Alfa Romeo Forums banner

86 Graduate electrical mystery

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ggblackspider 
#1 ·
It's like trying to herd cats. Fix one electrical problem then another one appears, fix that then it works but only for a while, then might work again later! The problem is the three pressure contacts in the trunk for the lights on the plate and parking along with instrument lights. Wiring all has connectivity and plate lights work when the 3 pins are jump wired simultaneously but fails to work when the trunk lid is closed.
Already checked each one of the pins by applying a small glob of dielectric grease and then closing the trunk lid to see that they had made contact with the three opposing contacts inside the trunk. Have not even gotten to the third brake light on the lid yet, as that also appears to be wired fine, but won't work either. I am lost for ideas and dumbfounded by what I am seeing, even with the help of Jim's superb wiring diagrams. Anyone have suggestions?

Rick

#2 · (Edited)
If after all attempts to get the contacts adjusted fail and originality is of no concern, hardwire it and don't worry about it again. Its possible to do, with some ingenuity, without cutting the wires etc. so it can be changed back to original if ever desired. Run wires from the tail light area back towards the trunk hinge, fish them through the little hole there through the trunk lid toward the spoiler, and connect them there. Make a carpeted patch and plastic or metal patch to cover the holes, or leave the three way contact to cover the hole. Simple fix and you'll be good to go for years.

#3 ·
3 pin trunk contacts

I agree with shadowburn, I have messed with the contacts on my 86 Spider for way too many times. I put a washer or two under the black plastic part to raise it up a little bit. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

My plan for my car is to run my own harness from the trunk lid across the inside of the trunk lid and zip tie it to the hinge then around behind the carpet to where it meets the bottom of those three pins. I plan to use some male to male connectors I have, don't remember where I bought them. A plastic tube with a male tab in each end. Plug the female ends from the pin assy in one end and my harness into the other. Or you could get some of the piggy-back connectors to put on the pin's tab and then connect both back onto that.

I plan to attach the harness to the inner trunk lid with some peel and stick zip-tie mounts. You could get some factory looking ones from the parts store and drill a hole in the cross bracing to snap them into if you don't like the peel and stick look.

#4 ·
I had a similar problem on my '88 Quad. The spring pins on the lid were OK, but the contact plate was worn because the pins didn't hit directly on the center of the pads. I removed the pad, switched around the wires to it, and reinstalled it backwards. Now the pins hit on fresh metal. All is well.

T

#5 ·
I guess copper was REALLY expensive in 1986. Had the same problems with my 1986 Spider. The really thin copper connectors got jammed into each other so the fuse would blow, then I ended up soldering some of the crimped on connectors to the wires. It took quite a bit of time to troubleshoot all the circuits, but its worked perfectly since then. Good luck!

#6 ·
I had the same problem. I fixed it by making a spacer out of auto black electrical wire wraped underneath the edge of the base between the base and carpet. It raised up the base enough to make good contact when the trunk is closed and still looks factory because the base hides the wire spacer. Hope that helps!

#7 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied with ideas. I tried one of my own. The pins themselves were the problem, the ends just would not conduct. So, what I did was to find some steel springs just about the right diameter of the pin, cut them to 1/4 inch or so longer and slip them over the pin like a sleeve. Closed the lid and Viola!...they worked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.