Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started working on an 86 Spider that has been off the road for 10 years. The good news is, it started up and runs pretty well.The issue is that nothing electrical seems to work, any suggestions on where to start my search? Thanks

·
Administrator
17,767 Posts
Hello, welcome to the BB.

Come on up to the 'Spider' section - more "traffic" there so folks can chime in with ideas. Here are my ideas:

1) clean all electrical connections, grounds, and the fuse box contacts. Might be a good idea to install all new fuses, too. Who knows how old the ones in there are - seems like it'd be cheap insurance to have new fuses.

B) contact BB member PapaJam. Ask for a copy of his color coded wire diagrams for your model Alfa. Include your email address and he'll send you some .pdf files that will make chasing Alfa electrons much easier. I took a copy on a flash drive to an office supply store and had them print out color copies on 11" X 17" paper then laminate them. Great for use in the garage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
86Project

Eric,
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I will let you know how I make out and will definetly reach out for PapaJam for his diagrams..

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
After you get the fuse connections cleaned and new fuses installed operate all the switches several times. 10, 20, more? My car sits for extended periods and when I get home to drive it I usually have to do this and then things start working well.

Also the lamp sockets may need some cleaning and or new lamps.

Wayne

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Wayne and thanks to PapaJam for responding so quick, you guys have been a great help..Its much appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
86Project on going

Guys, I have cleaned all the contacts and grounds, replaced the fuses and still have little or no electricals working. The only things that work are the clock and the hazards a little.. Would a bad alternator cause the symptoms ? Its been sitting for so long, it could be bad and before I take it out, figured i would ask the pro's...Thanks again.

·
Administrator
17,767 Posts
A bad alternator would allow the battery to die (because the faulty alternator would either fail to re-charge it or overcharge it). Is the battery in good shape? All connections clean & tight? (don't assume - remove, clean and secure each one)

The headlights should work without the ignition on but many other electrical items are switched - the key has to be in the 'on' position.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts