Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Forget about the OBD stuff, He was just being funny...You dont have it.. The Fuel Computer is sitting down Flat,Black most times, The Ignition one is on its side.Silver looking.

If possible next time , See if you have Spark when it happens, you can use a spare plug in one of the ignition wires and crank the car, you SHOULD see a spark from that plug.. If you do its not the ECU(computer). If there is no spark you have a ignition issue. If you have spark then you have a Fuel problem MAYBE.. but it will eliminate the Ignition Computer or ECU..
Find a mechanic who understands older cars and will talk to you in regular terms so you can explain what he said...
Good luck...

rob s

·
Administrator
16,354 Posts
Find a mechanic who understands older cars and will talk to you in regular terms so you can explain what he said...
And who rationally diagnoses a problem, not what it 'feels' like.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Forget about it being one of the computers. If the car always starts and idles fine when cold, but does not when hot, it's most likely a sensor or one of the cold/warm devices.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hello Guy's

Thanks for the messages. where I am today. Both ECU'S were replaced and the car cranked right up and I let it run for 15 minutes to reach temperature. I then turned it off waited about a half hr. Repeated the process (car ran again) but this morning and up to now the car does not crank and there's no spark. Could you tell me the problem?

·
Administrator
16,354 Posts
Again, to be sure we understand, what does & does not happen when you say 'the car does not crank'?

If you mean you turn the key to the 'start' position but nothing happens (the starter does not activate & the crankshaft does not turn) then I'd start looking at adding a relay for the starting circuit. When it gets old the Alfa ignition switch cannot carry the current required to activate the starter solenoid - turn the key to 'start' and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. And the doesn't gets more & more frequent. Adding a relay means the switch only has to carry a tiny amount of current to activate the relay which can easily carry the load.

If you turn the key to 'start' and there is a single click but no action then it is likely the starter motor &/or solenoid has failed. Sometimes it'll work when cold but not when hot. But eventually it'll not work at all. One easy test is to switch on the headlights and watch them when you turn the key to start. If they stay bright then no electrons are getting to the starter. If they go very dim - nearly off - then electrons are getting to the starter but it is not working properly.

Before you spend any time or money on the above step one is to remove, clean & secure all the connections in the battery to starter circuit. Sometimes an iffy connection will work when cold but not when hot. Don't assume they are good by looking & wiggling - remove, clean & secure. Including the ground cable's connection to the body - sort of out of sight behind the battery.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I turn the key and it starts. The cars is ready to be put in gear and ready to roll! is what I mean. The car is running!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Both ECU's (new) were put in. The car fired up right away and I could drive away with it. But, I let the car run parked for 15min.After 15min, I turned the car off (took key out), Waited 30min, restarted the car (fired right up again, ready to be driven away) again (just let in run in place again for 5min), shut it off for the remainder of the day.THe next day, car would not start.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Both ECU's (new) were put in. The car fired up right away and I could drive away with it. But, I let the car run parked for 15min.After 15min, I turned the car off (took key out), Waited 30min, restarted the car (fired right up again, ready to be driven away) again (just let in run in place again for 5min), shut it off for the remainder of the day.THe next day, car would not start.
As I read your posts, it sounds like you have a no spark condition now. Have you checked the flywheel sensors?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks for understanding sloboy89. The next day I tried to start no spark so I will have the flywheel sensor check.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just replaced my coil on 87 spider. That cured my no spark problem. Next would have been crankshaft sensors.

1987 S3 Spider Quad 81k miles- California car- no rust - always garaged - everything works!, until it doesn't.......

21 - 39 of 39 Posts