Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1986 spyder has been sitting in the garage for a couple of years. I replaced the battery and tried to start it and it tried to start once and then everything went dead. There is no power to anything. The battery is new and the connections are tight. Is there a main fuse or breaker? I cannot seem to find it. All of the fuses in the panel look fine. Help!

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The connections to the battery may be tight, but how is the connection from the negative pole to the chassis?

What is the battery voltage?

There is no "main fuse" If everything is dead...either battery or connections...

TTFN

·
Administrator
17,517 Posts
Switch on the headlights. If they light up then power is getting from the battery to the fuse box. If they don't light up then check all electrical connections to/from the battery. As mentioned, the cables might be OK at the battery but the ground cable's connection to the trunk floor should be cleaned & secured (don't assume - do it) and the positive cable's connection at the starter likewise should be cleaned & secured (don't assume - do it - but do that one with the battery disconnected!). Next there is a red wire between the starter and a junction box on the left inner fender. (clean/secure - don't assume, etc...).

After cleaning/secure all those conections try again and report back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bad cables

I cleaned up all of the connections and still had no power. But then when I wiggled the main wire that goes across the firewall under the hood I suddenly had power again! I'm afraid mice may have done some chewing since the car has been stored for quite some time. Once I find the short I will be back in business. Thanks for your help!

Adam

·
Registered
971 Posts
not sure which wire you are referring to as the 'main wire, but your car may have an inertia (fuel cutoff) switch on the firewall, just inboard of your windshield washer tank. The switch is known to to fail and is easily jumpered to remove it from the circuit.

Also, have you cleaned up the connections on the drivers side inner fender?

·
Administrator
17,517 Posts
I cleaned up all of the connections and still had no power. But then when I wiggled the main wire that goes across the firewall under the hood I suddenly had power again!
Battery power goes from the large (black) cable at the battery's + terminal to the starter motor. Then a medium size red wire goes from the starter to a junction box on the left inner fender. I assume that red wire runs along the firewall where you wiggled some wires.

I suggest you disconnect the battery, clean all battery cable connections, the ground cable's connection to the trunk floor and the + cable's connection at the starter, the red wire at the starter and the wires at the junction box. There is also a ground strap between the bell housing & the transmission tunnel (under the car) to be cleaned. I like to apply a smear of dielectric grease to the cleaned areas before re-assembly. That helps to stave off corrosion.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts