Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still searching for .25 amp current draw when key is off & thought it was the bulb illuminating the fuse block, but had to take Hurricane break. Now still mystified, but am removing one fuse at a time to find it. I can't find a bulb around the fuse block; anyone know where it is? Could it be the driver's side courtesy light that can be set to on, on when door opens or off?
Last to find & correct is RF parking light/engine bay/LR tail light circuit that is driving me nuts. Took PL ***'y out of car; works fine w/external battery; have filed/sanded/cleaned all spade connector & have all new bulbs. LF & RR tail lights &
HL & turn signal lights all work fine. Could the small green light ring around lighter be culprit? All suggestions welcome!
Chief Bre

·
Administrator
17,766 Posts
The fuse box light bulb in in the fuse box itself. Unless it has been removed (it is rather useless for illuminating the fuses...).

The ignition switch illumination is part of the interior courtesy lights. The lights are controlled by the light timer relay. It is supposed to switch on the lights when a door is open then keep them on for 30-45 seconds after the door is closed. Unless it has failed in the 'on' position... Also check the footwell lights (if your car has them - not all do). The lens is also a switch. There are three positions. Automatic (on/off with the doors/light timer relay), always off and always on. It is common for an errant toe to rock the lens to the always on position. The light is not so bright that'd you'd notice unless it were a dark & moonless night and you also stuck you head down into the footwell to check them.

Check that the glove box light goes out when the lid is closed. (does anyone keep gloves in there...?)

Radios will have a small electrical draw (usually milliamps) to keep the preset station memory alive.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Usual suspects are the radio and the console clock. Do you have a DIN pull-out radio? Pull it out. If not, remove a center console side panel and disconnect all wires from the radio. After owning my 86 Graduate for about 25 years, I started to have a dead battery after about a week to 10 days (previously it could sit for 3-4-5 weeks or more). It turned out to be the clock in the center console was drawing too much, after all these years, for some reason. I unplugged it. As for the foot well lights, remove the bulbs. They get accidentally kicked and stay on. This has caused thousands, maybe tens of thousands dead batteries in Spiders.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ghni-I do have footwell lights & will immediately check lens switch, as well as the glovebox. My ammeter is showing .25 amps. andylarry, I have a Blaupunt radio which is not too great. I observed that when the fan blower is turned on, the radio stops-very strange. My digital clock does not work, so I will remove the center console side panel & unplug it. Do you know if the green ring light on the cigar lighter is constantly on? I don't smoke anyway....Many Thanks to
you guys...you know some stuff! Now if I can just get the RF Parking light et al to function, I can began driving again!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I believe that the lighter ring only illuminates with the head lights (and instrument panel, and other console lights) on. Unplug anything that "doesn't work". It could still be a draw.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Most exterior lamp problems are connector, and / or ground wire related.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe that the lighter ring only illuminates with the head lights (and instrument panel, and other console lights) on. Unplug anything that "doesn't work". It could still be a draw.
Hey, can someone tell me where the screws or snaps are so I can get the side panel off the center console? I did manage to pry loose the part that surrounds the gear shift & was able to unplug the digital clock, which did not work anyway. Chief Bre

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most exterior lamp problems are connector, and / or ground wire related.
I agree, and have, to the best of my ability checked all ground connections I can fine, and used a nail file to clean corrosion off spade connectors. Think I will try some contact cleaner spray. Chief Bre

·
Premium Member
5,861 Posts
Just grab the clock and pull it towards you. No need to take the console apart.

Reactions: pantera928

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Jim G - I am following this thread as I am also chasing stray current losses. In pulling out the clock - on an 89 Spider/Quad - can it be pulled straight out (assuming it will be destroyed in the process as there is nothing to grab on to)?

·
Premium Member
5,861 Posts
On an 86 and later you can put your hand above the clock over the shifter opening. Move your hand into the shifter boot curl your fingers downward and you can feel the back of the clock. Curl your fingers some more and push the clock towards you popping it out of the console and will be damaged or destoryed.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I was able to grasp the wires to the clock & disengage them, but still don't how to get the console "side covers" off so I can find the radio wire, etc, Where are the screws/snaps to get the center console open? Chief Bre

·
Premium Member
5,861 Posts
You have 2 screws on each side where the console/side panels and dash come together. The other 2 screws are on the front of the console. The E brake handle is pointing right at them.

What year is your Spider? I'm assuming and 85 or older since you have the bulb in the fusebox.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You have 2 screws on each side where the console/side panels and dash come together. The other 2 screws are on the front of the console. The E brake handle is pointing right at them.

What year is your Spider? I'm assuming and 85 or older since you have the bulb in the fusebox.
My Spider is a 1986 model. I have been out there wrestling with the 2 screws where the console/side panels come together; I can just see the one next to the steering wheel, which I may be able ti unscrew. The one on the right by glove box I have yet to find. There appears to be only one screw by the e brake handle. Is it possible to remove the part of the dash which is between the console & the fuse box cover? Feels like it is mounted to the trans tunnel right about where the dash light dimmer switch is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts