Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A color version of the 86-88 Spider diagram is currently in the works. However, the original diagrams are not clear in some areas so I'm asking for your help.

1) how many interior lights are there and their location(s)?
2) how are the lights turned on and off?
3) is there a light on the optional hardtop? if so, how does it operate?
4) what color is the small wire coming off the back of the alternator? (green?)
5) does this small wire go to the junction block on the left inner fender?

That's all the questions for now. Thanks for any input you can provide. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
88 Grad wiring

Papa

On my 88 Grad there are 2 three position toggle type courtesy lights facing down under each side of the dash, I'm pretty sure the sequence is Left always Off/center timered door opening/Right always ON. I believe there was a map light in the glove box at one time. No hard tops except for Quads so I can't help there.
My Alt wire is red and does connect to the junction on the fender well and has at least 2 red outbound to the fuse box as well. The alt wire is in good shape and pretty heavy so it may be that it had already been replaced so I can't guarantee orginality.

Think the 87 is the same, it is covered, next time I'm under there I will check for sure....

artart

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
1) how many interior lights are there and their location(s)?
Not counting instrumentation or console lighting:

Two curtesy lights (one each side under dash) and operated by door in conjunction with a timer or manually by postion of the lens on the light (on all the time/on with door switch/off all the time), ignition switch light tied into curtesy light timer, hard top light (unsure if it ties in with curtesy lights), review mirror light (if equipped and unsure if tied into curtesy lights and has manual switch also), handheld map light (if equipped, manual switch on light).

2) how are the lights turned on and off?
As stated above, but I'll look in my book to see if it's got any better description on the unknowns.

3) is there a light on the optional hardtop? if so, how does it operate?
Yes, but unsure of operation or connection

4) what color is the small wire coming off the back of the alternator? (green?)
Green with black trace and ties in at the junction block on a spade/bayonet fitting toward the front of the junction block as opposed to the heavy red that ties into the conventional stud behind it.

5) does this small wire go to the junction block on the left inner fender?
Yes

·
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys!! You're the best! :D

Now for dumb question #36.
Is the turnsignal flasher round or square? It's the N13 relay on the lower left on the bullet type fuse fuseboxes or the lower right on the blade type fuseboxes.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Mine is square but it's an '85 (in all honesty, I doubt the shape matters as long as the plug and electric values are the same and it clears stuff around it)

EDIT:

Book on lap now.

N13 for late S3 ('86 on) shows it being square in fusebox and drawing of device itself is square, but rectangular not cubic. (square from end, rectangular from side)

·
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... (in all honesty, I doubt the shape matters
Agreed as far as function. But being the perfectionist, I'd like the diagram to be as accurate as possible. So square it is then.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
OK, digging in book deeper now:

Hardtop also has rear window defrogger tying in with what appears to be one light blue and one white wire to 'connector available' (honest, that's what the diagram calls it LOL) where the white transitions to ground and the light blue transitions to gray w/black and then carries on to 'rear service connector' then to rear window relay in fuse box (relay terminal 87. **NOTE** the other 87 terminal on the same relay goes defrogger indicator lamp via a solid pink) 85 terminal on relay goes to console cable connector (15 pin) and to the defrogger switch via an orange w/black lead from relay through connector to switch. The other relay connections are associated with fuses 3 (30 terminal on relay) and 8 (86 terminal on relay)

Rear window defrogger relay in bullet fuse box is '#3' located at the lower right corner

There seems to be a fuse box light also which is powered by a red w/no trace to fuse 2 and black which ties to ground with some type of switch along the run. (something that opens/closes the circut when fusebox or fuse cover is opened or closed is what it appears to be but is undefined)

Haven't found map light or hardtop dome light circuts yet but still digging.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
The hardtop has an overhead light, positioned towards the back, close to the rear window. It comes on when a door is opened, just like the other courtesy lights. One may also turn it on manually. The positions and operation are similar to those of the mirror mounted lights in the older Spiders. The defroster is operated by an extra pair of round push type switches that are placed in the cluster that has the power window switches, at the bottom of the center console, close to the ashtray. (Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm nowhere near to the Spiders...)

Great work, Jim - thank you!

P.S. Jim, I just checked and I have the Alfa Spider '85 - '89 Workshop Manual, which has wiring diagrams, at home in NJ. You're certainly welcome to borrow it!

·
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With everyone's help, and borrowing some info from a 1990 schematic, the following have been identified and drawn;

courtesy lights under dash
glovebox light
vanity mirror light
map light
hardtop light

What remains is;
1) there is a light on page 40-09 of manual 3748 that is labeled F3-passenger compartment roof lamp. This lamp has two black wires on the same terminal; one to the dimmer rheostat and the other makes it's way to body ground connector G54B. The under dash courtesy lights are also labeled F3 but have already been accounted for. Could this third F3 light be on the rearview mirror? Or is the mystery F3 light one of the under dash courtesy lights?

2) the fusebox light labeled F7. The diagram shows two, one in the fusebox and a second outside of the fusebox. Are there in fact two fusebox lights?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Only one fusebox light that I can find (both in book and sockets in car)

Located directly in the fusebox, and more or less centered L to R above the fuses but below the relays.

If your mystery light goes to the reostat it's a relatively safe bet it's neither a curtesy light nor mirror light as the reostat doesn't control them in any way.

It 'may' be (and this is just a reach) the light associated with the defrogger switch which would dim and brighten with the other switches and lamps in the console when using the reostat.

There seems to be a seperate lamp within the hard top curtesy light fixture that is being called a reading lamp (think overhead map light in 67 Mustang w/GT interior) and is controlled by a seperate switch, though it seems doubtful that such a lamp would fall under reostat control.

I can't find it in the diagrams I have to confirm one way or the other though.

·
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the fusebox light info!

The mystery light however is still a mystery. I'm suspecting it's the light in the rearview mirror. Thoughts? The two black wires on the same terminal to this light are ground wires, one from the rheostat, not power. Which leads to, what powers this light? I can't find anything relevant in the diagrams.

Except for adding electrical connector locations and this mystery light, two pages have been completed. Page one contains the lighting, power supply, starting and charging systems. Page two is accessories, senders, sensors and services. Any volunteers care to proofread these things?

·
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Two more questions.

Where is the electrical connector (G49) for the hardtop located?
What is the radio inline fuse amp rating?

Thanks again!! :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Jim, The plug above the amp and seatbeat in the picture was just laying on the rear package shelf when I bought my car. I am guessing it is for the rear window, but I do not have a hardtop. When I removed my old radio it had a 20amp inline fuse, which I thought was strange since it was going to a 7.5 amp one on the fuseblock.

Attachments

·
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...and yet another question.

Currently drawing the fuel supply system. Could someone please verify that;

1) power to the fuel pumps comes from the main relay (not the drive relay)
2) the wire color is pink with a black stripe
3) the terminal number on the relay to which the fuelpump wire attaches

Richard,
According to the diagrams, the connector for the hardtop has six slots of which five are used. Although I don't yet know what your two wire connector is for, I think I can safely say that it's not for the hardtop.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
1) dunno, as diagram I'm looking at doesn't trace that far apparently (shows to fusebox but not to any relays, unless that's another page)

2) Diagram says pink w/white stripe but car is definitely pink w/black stripe

3) see #1

·
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, after a year and a half, the 86-88 diagrams are almost done. Only a few things left to finish colorizing the fuel and ignition ECUs.

I'm looking for help in identifying the wire colors on the following terminals on the fuel ECU;
2 - should be two wires one of which is white

And on the ignition ECU, the wire colors on terminals 12 & 13.

Please note that the wire colors on the above terminals on the 82-85 Spiders are NOT the same as the 86-88 (just to save some of you the time of rushing out and tearing out the ECUs).

TIA :)

·
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eric, just sent you a PM (and a bill ;) ).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts