Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:
Have an '85 spider graduate that has no heater working. Reading some of the threads, I have loosened the fan so it now turns, but no luck in turning on the motor. The switch seems to be working.

I am willing to take the motor out and bench test it, can it be removed without taking out the dash? I hope the answer is yes.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Check the power to the switch

I had the same problem. With the heater vent door open, I could reach up into the blower area of the heater box (located behind the front console and above the tranny hump) and spin the white plastic fan blades freely, but the fan switch did nothing.

I checked page 3 of Papajam's excellent schematic for the 1988 Spider and saw that the power to the motor went into the fan switch on the #3 contact blade. I pushed the switch (with the plug connector still attached) out of the front of the console plate (from behind). Then I removed the plug from the switch, and with the ignition key "on", checked the #3 female connector in the plug with a test light/probe. The light on the probe lit up. There was "juice" to the #3 slot on the switch plug.

I had a jumper with two male blade connectors laying around so I pushed one end into the #3 slot of the plug, and touched the other end to the #1 slot on the plug. I could hear the fan! Then I touched the loose end of the jumper to the #4 slot on the plug and again I could hear the fan. I can't remember which jumper position was louder (#3 to #1 or #3 to #4) but I could hear that one of them was definitely the "high" speed. Now I knew that my wiring and fan motor were both good.

Bottom line, I had deduced that I had a bad switch. I took it apart hoping I could fix it but found the plastic arms inside so busted up that no amount of glue could repair it.

I ended up finding a good one on eBay and now I have a working fan.

·
Registered
449 Posts
There's a thread on here somewhere describing how to take the motor out without removing the dash. If you do a search, you should find it. I gave up and had my mechanic do it however. He removed the dash to get at it easier. I bought a new motor from IAP.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Right- I remember that thread, but man, I never had luck doing that without removing that dash. Sheesh- what a pain, but it hAD TO BE DONE. 2x. (ONCE FOR HEATER, THEN A FEW MONTHS LATER, FOR AC.....lol!!!

·
Administrator
17,014 Posts
To remove the heater unit the shop manual tells you to start by removing the dash. Although that is not as daunting as it may sound, have a look at this thread if you decide you only want to access the motor. S3 heater fan R/R

But first I'd suggest you make sure that electrons are getting to the terminals on the outside of the heater unit- i.e. from the switch. IIRC, they are up above the gas pedal (LHD drive car assumed) - a blue, red & black wire. Black is ground, the other two are for slow speed and less slow speed.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To All: Thanks for the info and advice. I have been lazy this year and travelling a lot, (3 months in south florida, then 4 months in Athens Greece). Just got back this week. I have three projects to get done this year. First, when I bought the car last year it had a new top, but I could never, get it closed, second, the trunk release lever is broke, so I need a new one. I thought that someone would have one to sell, but no luck so far, and of course, third the heater. I got the top closed and working. Looking into buying a new latch, and of course thanks to all of you, I have the project of the heater which I will attack starting tomorrow. Once again, thanks to all of you for your help. A non-mechanic like me feels pretty good about getting the car running and out in the open.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts