Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thank you ocalfa And spiderserie4, that some good info.

Just got this 85 spider Graduate, the car was running and the owner parked it in the garage and it sat there for two years and i just bought it. Not sure where to start to try to get it running, and he lost the key so i have no key, trying to figure out what to do about the key.

I didn't know there was two fuel pumps, been searching the forum and the net but haven't found alot of info about my problems, trying to clean the tank and do some thing about that nasty fuel pump problem. I've built alot of GM's and Fords but this is my first alfa, is there any threads that you can point me to that would help or what part of the forum i can look at to find some info. I did alot of searching but didn't find much still trying to learn the forum, great forum you have here.

Hi, My replacement pump works, but I'm having the same issues. Guess my original pump was fine!! My in-tank pump wasn't working, and causing the main pump to starve.

Pls check both pumps and order the one you need.

PS. If you need the Main EXTERNAL pump, I have the original Bosch which I'll be selling.

Good Luck!
your spider has 2 fuel pumps, and needs both. The one in the tank attached to the fuel level sender by a short hose, is a puller pump; that you can buy from most of the alfa spares people...like here
https://www.centerlinealfa.com/store/1181

The external one (under the car, passenger/right hand side) is the main pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
put a couple table spoons of auto tranny oil in each cly, let sit overnite,, with spark plugs out turn the motor over by hand a few times, let sit over nite, then with plugs out spin the motor over by the starter... the tranny oil will seap into the ringlands and oil control rings,, and lube them up before you start the motor..

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I believe that most radiator shops can strip and clean , and coat your gas tank. Try making a few calls. Shouldn't be too expensive. As for those pumps... hey, I suppose they can be degunked with carb cleaner, old clothes, rubber gloves and good eye protection. However, I think I might just replace them unless you're on a tight budget.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts