Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everyone. I hope all is doing well and getting ready to enjoy (or already enjoying) the warm weather.

My 85 Spider Fuel Vapor Cannister has a hairline crack and leaking fuel. It may just be coincidence that it happened right after I overfilled it (stupidly trying to round it to an even dollar amount). I tested the plastic one way valve with the knowledge of you fine folks. It only blows the one way.
I temporarily patched the tank with jbweld to get home. It held and I couldn't find a quick replacemet so the next day I had to take my brother a couple hours away. On the way, my brother overfilled the fuel (stupidly trying to round it to the nearest dollar...hhhmm). Well when i got home the vapor tank was leaking again.
I am going to order one, but can i bypass it until I find and get the new one here?
Oh yea, I havent ordered one yet, so of someone knows a good place to get one that won't take until winter to get here, I would appreciate it.

Thank you again for everyone's positive advice. I still have an extra beer (wont last long) for whomever can help me..haha

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,601 Posts
You can bypass it but that presents the risk of getting liquid fuel into the line to the carbon canister. Dunno how big a problem that could cause but probably not good.

Glue won’t stick to most plastics unless we’re talking ABS. I suspect that tank is likely polyethylene or polypropylene, in which case you could probably fix it via plastic welding. Or just get a used one from APE.

I’ve got a hot air plastic welder from Harbor Freight that has proven very useful over the years.

·
Administrator
17,765 Posts
I have used hot melt glue (glue gun) to repair difficult to glue plastics.

APE is a good suggestion for useful used parts.

I'm wondering how you're getting that much gas into fhe vapor recovery tank? It is a lot higher than the gas tank - I don't see how filling up the tank is allowing gas to get in there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have used hot melt glue (glue gun) to repair difficult to glue plastics.

APE is a good suggestion for useful used parts.

I'm wondering how you're getting that much gas into fhe vapor recovery tank? It is a lot higher than the gas tank - I don't see how filling up the tank is allowing gas to get in there.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have idea either. I was hoping someone might know on here. This was my dad's car before he passed away, and i didn't know much about it.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,601 Posts
The overfilling the tank would be my guess. If you overfill it I could see liquid getting up the line as the tank heats up and the fuel & vapor expand (tank warms up through both exhaust proximity and the fuel cycling through the lines to the engine and back).

The vapor tank is basically there to serve as a liquid separator. If any liquid makes it to the tank (or any vapor condenses) it's supposed to collect there at the bottom so it can't get into the hose to the carbon canister. When you park the car any collected liquid should drain back into the tank.

Now, on an '85 the important valve to check would be the metal one, not the plastic one. The plastic valve lets air flow into the gas tank to make up for the dropping fuel level. The metal one-way valve allows vapor to flow forwards to the carbon canister. If the metal valve is stuck closed, I could imagine you building up enough pressure to crack the vapor separator tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts