Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, it's me once more. I am getting so much needed assistance on this forum and saving a ton of money by doing some things myself, due to everyone here.

That being said, my clutch slave cylinder is leaking. I just got the part in and am going to replace it today. My clutch also feels like it is slipping. My RPM gauge does not work, but I can obviously tell when I get on the gas or go up an incline. Maybe I am wrong (x-wife would agree on that..lol), but it seems like in the morning when it has not been driven, the clutch does not slip (or at least as much), and it has better take off. Not that I'm trying to race anyone..lol.
Long story short, I'm just trying to find out if my leaking slave cylinder can cause the slipping..

Thank you to anyone and everyone for assistance. I am having a beer while I'm waiting for any help. I will share one with anyone that has the answer. If you don't live close, I will even be nice enough to drink it for you... haha.

·
Super Moderator
10,908 Posts
I'm just trying to find out if my leaking slave cylinder can cause the slipping..
I wouldn't think so, no. Failures in the hydraulic system generally result in the clutch not fully releasing.

But are you sure the drips you are seeing are hydraulic fluid from the clutch slave and not engine or transmission oil getting past the seals? Oil from those sources could get on the clutch disk and cause it to slip. Is the fluid level falling in the clutch reservoir?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't think so, no. Failures in the hydraulic system generally result in the clutch not fully releasing.

But are you sure the drips you are seeing are hydraulic fluid from the clutch slave and not engine or transmission oil getting past the seals? Oil from those sources could get on the clutch disk and cause it to slip. Is the fluid level falling in the clutch reservoir?
T

Well it did turn out to be the slave cylinder that was leaking. I replaced it.

Unfortunately my clutch slipping issue is still happening and it seems like it is more so now than before. Now when I take off on a flat road even, I can definitely feel it. If I take off at a basic steady speed, it is ok. But anytime I put on the gas, I have to let of some. Again im not trying to beat a Tesla or anything, but would like to be able to outrun my stepmother from a standstill...lol..Kidding, I am divorced so no longer any stepmother (although she was wonderful).

I almost feel like I answered my own question and it sounds like I need a new clutch. But since I never owned one of these, I am hoping it could be a bleeding issue or a hydrolic thing. I may still need a new clutch, but if there is anything I can do too bandaid it until I can, that would be great.

Thank you to everyone for being so helpful and kind to those of us that are just learning these cars..ugh, I'm getting emotional here so time to crack open a cold one...ok, 2.

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
The longer you drive with a slipping clutch the greater the chance that you score the flywheel and that makes the replacement more expensive. Depending upon your skill level a clutch job is not so bad and can be done from below with the car on jack stands.

Reactions: goats

·
Premium Member
4,784 Posts
A swelled up rubber hose to the slave cylinder can cause this.

Reactions: goats

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
yes, if the hose has swollen up inside, it won't allow fluid to return, so it acts a bit like you are driving with your foot slightly on the clutch.
They can look deceptively good on the outside!

Certainly worth doing...beats removing the gearbox

·
Registered
525 Posts
Replace the clutch slave hose before the clutch. Remembering the old adage about Italian rubber(s).

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Normally, I replace hoses at the same time as I replace a slave cylinders since you are already in there.
Good advice on any car with a hydraulic clutch.
If you do need a clutch, I would replace the rear main seal on the engine at the same time. Use a Corteco seal.

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
If you do need a clutch, I would replace the rear main seal on the engine at the same time. Use a Corteco seal.
Not easy to install straight from under the car. I would leave it alone if it is not leaking. It is also not easy to torque the flywheel bolts when the car is on jack stands.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Not going to debate it but i I did it twice last year and had no issues. Just my two cents.
There is a constant back and forth about whether or not to leave it alone or change it. I opt to change always.

·
Premium Member
4,784 Posts
Its no harder then pulling the gearbox out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Replace the clutch slave hose before the clutch. Remembering the old adage about Italian rubber(s).
Sorry to sound not bright, but are you taking about the hose going to the slave cylinder or a different hose? Advice on how to change it? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,784 Posts
The rubber flex hose thats connected to the slave cylinder. They swell inside and will give the same symptoms as a worn out clutch.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The rubber flex hose thats connected to the slave cylinder. They swell inside and will give the same symptoms as a worn out clutch.
Sweet. Thank you. Is that a pretty simple thing to replace? And can I get that at my local parts store or should I order it from somewhere? Sorry for all the questions, but I do appreciate it more than you know.

I would share a beer with you, but im sure that would be quite the drive for a beer. I would have to make it 2 I guess..lol

·
Premium Member
4,784 Posts

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
:)
Like Jim said, it is more of a pain. I have soaked the fitting connection to the hard pipe with PB blaster ahead of time to loosen things up. Sometimes needed and sometimes not depending on corrosion there. Good luck.
All questions are good That is how you learn without learning the hard way.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It no harder then replacing the slave cylinder.

Thank you. I didn't replace the slave cylinder. I had someone do it for me because I didn't have the time and it was leaking bad enough that it needed done. I should have had him replace the hose at the same time, but iv didn't realize it so that was my bad. I have the time now and I am fairly handy with cars and can follow instructions..lol.
I'm sure I can just Google the steps, but I was making sure there weren't some better ideas on here.
I do appreciate the link to the parts. Very cool. Is the stainless one that much better than the other?
You guys are a tremendous help.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
This is how you learn and we are here to help. I have never used the stainless one but i have never doubted JimG on his recommendations either. He knows his stuff on Alfas.....and old wooden Chriscraft boats.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts