Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the fluids last week. The only way I could get the Oil Filter out was to remove the air filter, and the air filter box and bring the filter out the top. Is that normal?

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
Changed the fluids last week. The only way I could get the Oil Filter out was to remove the air filter, and the air filter box and bring the filter out the top. Is that normal?
That's the only way if you are using the larger oil filter.

If you have the smaller one, it can be pulled out from the bottom, but what a mess.

IMHO, you are doing the right thing, larger filter and out the top.

Vin

·
Administrator
17,766 Posts
That's the way I always do it*. Somebody said they could get it out from underneath. Either they were lying or had a small oil filter.

*actually, I also use a disposable diaper. Position it under the filter - on top of the part of the sump that sticks out under the filter area. It collects 99% of the oil spillage from the filter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I thought maybe I had and extreme engine sag, or there was a trick I didn't know. Eric, thanks for the disposal diaper advice, but I am not quite there yet! I just used an old shop towel.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I used to remove the filter from the top but found out it's easier from the bottom on my 86 Spider. I use Fram filters. It's really easy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have an 85 Graduate and I am able to get it out from the bottom but I use Fram oil filters like Jay.

·
Registered
448 Posts
That's the way I always do it*. Somebody said they could get it out from underneath. Either they were lying or had a small oil filter.

*actually, I also use a disposable diaper. Position it under the filter - on top of the part of the sump that sticks out under the filter area. It collects 99% of the oil spillage from the filter.
I always do mine from the bottom using a K & N filter. I like the idea of the diaper to minimize the mess, but aren't you showing your age? :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
ghnl - wonderful photo.

And a forehead slapping simple solution to the drip problem. I'm off this morning to buy a box of diapers while I'm thinking about. Plus I need a Mother's Day card.

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
love the diaper idea. Just love it. I've used bread bags w/luck to corral messy stuff and saw something in a magizine Family Handyman maybe, that was a roll up kinda oil drippage guide thingy that looked effective but I reall like the diaper suggestion. Chris

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Top is good for me- you dont have to get on the floor (bad if youre an old guy), and I use newspaper- stuff them under the filter against the engine- very clean. Plastic bags is geez, I dunno, they done even absorb anything.

What a mess though. EWven with absorbent paper/rags.......hey, if you use synth, at least you prolong the change intervals vs dino oil.....

·
Registered
79 Posts
I made a little "diverter" out of a scrap piece of flashing. It goes under the filter and drains the oil down into the catch pan. Just slide it under there before removing the filter, no mess.

·
Registered
973 Posts
The manual for my 84 shows that you swap oil filters from the top. I have done it both ways and now do it from the top every time. Changing from the top is no big deal time wise and allows me to take the air hose to the air filter and box while I have it apart.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts