Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring a 1985 Alfa Graduate. Its got 55k miles and sat in a garage for 3 years before I found it. Some simple things like new fluids and its running great.

Here's the problem, I took it out on some twisty roads with friends last weekend. That was the first time it was out for more than a breakfast-run or ride to work. The pace got a little spirited, nothing over 70mph, but the suspension got scary at times. I've replaced the motor and tranny mounts already.

What is the general wisdom on restoring the suspension? Shocks I assume, but what else?

Thanks for the advice...
K

·
Registered
what part?
9,994 Posts
speedway motors for the springs..1150 "/lbs 5.5 dia 9 tall front.. rears 200 "/lbs, and for shocks.. qa1 just tell them the size of you shocks( stock shocks,)( main body lenght, stroke, and mounting points, i.e., bush at the bottom , pin at the top) they are not much more then konis,, but you can rebuild them at home, if you need to, and to adjust them, there is a dial at the botom of the shock, no need to remove the shock to tune it.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,933 Posts
Tires, tires, tires. If the car was sitting I'm guessing what you have on there is pretty old. Do that before anything else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. That's probably all correct,...bushings, tires, shocks and springs. And thanks for the recommendation on where to source the parts, I'll call them tomorrow.

K

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was hoping to get a few more years out of the tires. I broke them down and while they're showing age cracks on the outside, there's nothing abnormal on the inside. Plus, the original owner must have kept them aired up even though he never drove it,...there's no creases that would show if the car sat on flat rubber for a long time.
Regardless, its a relatively cheap fix and good insurance.

Thanks...

Tires, tires, tires. If the car was sitting I'm guessing what you have on there is pretty old. Do that before anything else.

·
Administrator
17,379 Posts
+1 on replacing the old tires. Even if the tread is OK the rubber is old and dry. Traction will become nearly nonexistant.

There will be a 4 digit code molded into the sidewall. The first two digits are the week of manufacture (00-52) and the second two digits are the year (ex. 02 = 2002). If you find a three digit code then the tires are pre-2000! For an automobile tires older than 5-6 years should be replaced no matter how deep the tread. On my motorcycle tires older than 3 years get replaced.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,933 Posts
Check the date code on the sidewall and if they're older than 5-6 years replace them. Regardless of looks and usage, tires get hard after that time and can get downright scary. I'm willing to bet that'll fix a big chunk of your handling issues.

The OEM shocks were quite robust and are good for a surprisingly long time. You may not need to replace them. Likely a lot of the rubber bushings are overdue, though.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,933 Posts
Yeah, what Eric said :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would automatically replace the shocks and tires. If there is squeaking in the suspension then begin looking over the bushings. Last but not least depending on your expectation for performance the subframe (chassis stiffner) is a great addition.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, there is squeaking in the suspension. I thought the motor/tranny mounts would solve that but it didn't. Bushings are on the list.

BTW, in my earlier post when I wrote "need 2 more characters to Reply", I meant alphanumeric characters,...not forum characters. For some reason you can't post a reply of less than 10 characters....jus sayin'.

Thanks,
K

I would automatically replace the shocks and tires. If there is squeaking in the suspension then begin looking over the bushings. Last but not least depending on your expectation for performance the subframe (chassis stiffner) is a great addition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts