Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 85 alfa spider runs great when I put it up on a jack stands in the garage and go through the gears up to 60 mph. Not a thing wrong with it then.
When I drive it around the block and run it through the gears it practically dies on me. I'll run it through gears and in between gears it shuts off briefly then goes again and sometimes it stops. I can't figure out if it is gas, spark or air related. Took top off of airflow meter-seems to be working correctly-changed fuel pump/no change all electrical devices connected. A week ago it was running great, until the air flow sleeve off the airflow meter ripped-replaced the sleeve and it runs like crap on the road only. I guess my question is what is being effected, other than the engine works harder when running down the road, by the car moving?
sincerly chris

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Under load you can get Spark break down... Check spark plug wires and rotor and cap.
Also your engine can shift or move when under load and cause an air leak or a wire connection problem. Perhaps a crack in an air hose, even the hard hose can crack and move under load and leak. Also more fuel along with air are required underload..
Look at the coil and make sure it is not cracked and a spark jumping under load.
Running the engine in the dark can show plug wire problems and spark jump. Make sure your little vacuum hoses are not split and leaking.
Just some ideas.
Good luck!
Stan

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
..be carefull about running your tires in the air( jackstands)i.e. no load..they can explode...
True nuff, and I wouldn't condone running in gear at any speed above what an idle produces while up on mere jackstands (explain that one to the insurance company when they come to take pictures of the new doorway in the back of your garage.....) but just for reference, spin balancer machines that tire shops use run them up to a speed of +70mph so 60 isn't creating too much of a concern for the type of failure you describe. (sure, it can happen, but the odds are not in favor of it by a long shot)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
found problem

I solved this problem along time ago I just wanted to post How I fixed this just in case somebody else had a simular problem. The car started and ran fine for about a mile then it would run crappy then finally die. There is a cheese cloth type filter on the end of the in tank fuel pump. It got very clogged and stiff and after sucking for a short period of time it would finally suck up so to the fuel pump. that caused fuel to stop going through the gas line.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Thanks for the followup :thumbsup:

There was no bit of hard plastic tube in the mesh filter? (about 1 1/2" ~ 2" long, really hard material)

There's supposed to be and its job is to prevent just that from occurring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts