Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the pun on "sob" story. I have lots to tell and need some feedback:

I own a 1984 Spider which I purchased, as second owner, 5 years ago with 17k original miles. I knew car was way too good to be true having owned a 1986 Spider purchased new from Belmar Foreigh Cars, NJ. Probably the biggest problem I faced was finding a trusted mechanic to work on it. At least that was my thought. Having found the mechanic my biggest problem now is how to get him to work on it. Don't missunderstand me, he does excellent work but minimum repair time is 2-3 months. Now, though, here is my current situation. 17 weeks ago my #2 valve went bad. My mechanic said he had a machine shop that would repair the head. He finally managed to get the head apart after 16 weeks. His machine shop couldn't do the cuts although he said they had done them in the past. No matter, I know an Alfa repair shop in southern Florida and they have an affiliation with a machine shop that has the imported dies from Italy so I had the head sent down there. It is now 3 weeks and it looks like the head will be shipped back within the next week.

Here's where I need some advice. The mechanic in FL tells me that the 2 cams have to be replaced, along with - obviously, the valves. What should a valve job cost? The estimate I received was $1,100-1,800.00 - am I even in the ball park?

Another question: Does anyone in the NJ area know of an A rated Alfa mechanic? And please don"t tell me about Col-Gen in Newark. Just don't like dealing with father or son. Any other suggestions?

One last question: With regard to the rubber fuel line that runs from the tank to the fuel pump. I have been told that this part is no longer available. I have replaced it with a rubber fuel injection hose with external springs to insure that the hose will not kink. Does anyone know an alternative solution? I am just not comfortable with this solution.

Any assistance would be very, very helpful. Thanks!

·
Administrator
18,169 Posts
I have lots to tell and need some feedback...
Come on down the 'Spider' section of the forum - it is likely you'll get more replies there. Do know that pictures are required. We likes pictures. Of your Spider are OK. If there be a pretty female in the picture even better...

here is my current situation. 17 weeks ago my #2 valve went bad. My mechanic said he had a machine shop that would repair the head. He finally managed to get the head apart after 16 weeks. His machine shop couldn't do the cuts although he said they had done them in the past.
Strange. Although it ain't a small block Chevy it's hard to imagine a machine shop that can't work on an Alfa cylinder head...

Here's where I need some advice. The mechanic in FL tells me that the 2 cams have to be replaced, along with - obviously, the valves. What should a valve job cost? The estimate I received was $1,100-1,800.00 - am I even in the ball park?
Sounds like 2 or 3 boat payments but to be honest I don't know how much a decent valve job should cost. Again, a re-post in the Spider section will get more exposure & replies.

One last question: With regard to the rubber fuel line that runs from the tank to the fuel pump. I have been told that this part is no longer available. I have replaced it with a rubber fuel injection hose with external springs to insure that the hose will not kink. Does anyone know an alternative solution? I am just not comfortable with this solution.
Actually it sounds good. Proper FI rated hose with FI hose clamps (not worm drive hose clamps from the hardware store) and no kinks should be good. And, BTW, much of the fuel lines under the car are not rubber hoses but steel lines with a rubber covering. The rubber covering probably provides some physical protection but it can also harbor moisture & allow the steel line to rust.

·
Registered
867 Posts
EuroTec Motors, Livingston NJ 973-992-2800, I've used them since I moved to NJ, 17 years, they have repaired more Alfas, Lancias, Ferraris, etc. Your car will not be a problem, if they can't fix it then it is not fixable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts