Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all --

I replaced my fuel sending unit, including the in-tank pump, yesterday and was happy to finally have a working fuel gauge. Drove the car around for several miles with no problems. Everything looked good.

A few hours later I drove her over to the local quickie-mart to pick up a celebratory beverage or 6. Parked on a steep incline, nose up, and went in to make my purchase. When I came back a minute later, she wouldn't start. Turns over fine, but the engine just won't 'catch'. The quickie-mart is at the top of a hill, so I rolled backward out into the street and started down the hill. Popped the clutch and, again, the engine turns over but it just sort of groans, like there's no fuel. This went on for about a block downhill before I was forced to park it and walk back home.

I left it overnight thinking i had flooded it or it overheated or some such but no dice starting it up today. Same behavior.

It's about 100 degrees out here right now, so I plan to go back later, when it's safe for humans to be outdoors, and pull the fuel sender to make sure there isn't something blocking the intake on the pump.

Any suggestions for other things I might check if I find no blockage?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Check the fuel pump fuse under the rear speaker deck, both of my spiders have had the inline fuse holder replaced, so I am guessing it is a short coming of design, and I have had that fuse fail after a short stop.

·
Administrator
17,811 Posts
There's a whole list of things that can prevent your Spider from starting. A bad fuse could be it. Also, the 'bullet' fuses used in our cars are known to look OK but still somehow fail to pass electrons. Unless you know they are fairly new, I suggest you replace them (all - the ones in the fuse box and fuel pump fuse located under the parcel shelf behind the seats).

Anyway, see the link below to the L-jet diagnosis page for other things to check.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
the fuel pump fuse was a common failure on my car till I replaced it with a pigtail blade type fuse holder. I was told my fuel pump is failing. I replaced the fuse holder anyway It took about 10 more years for the pump to fail.

if you have recently been into the tank and replaced the sending unit and pump, did you do that as a unit or did you have to separate the components. there is a short stepped-diameter hose. if damaged, it can limit the amount of fuel leaving the tank.

Wayne

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, all, for your suggestions. My mystery has been solved.

Near as I can figure, the sequence of events was something like this:

1. installed used fuel sending unit + in-tank pump as complete assembly (how convenient for me!)
2. drove car
3. in-tank pump turns out to be garbage. fails miserably.
4. main fuel pump cannot take the additional load and promptly dies.
5. i walk home.

Learn from my mistakes, kids: ALWAYS TEST USED PARTS BEFORE INSTALLING THEM.

Had I tested the 'new' in-tank pump, i would have known it was bad and could have re-installed my original pump, thus saving several hundred dollars and several alfa-less days replacing both pumps.

Live and learn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts