Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a relatively new owner of a 1984 Spider Veloce and new to this community It is a 2 owner car from CA with about 86k miles, It was running great and after about 3 weeks in the garage (not driven or started) it was poor starting and when it was running it would not go above 15 mph. I took it in to our mechanic who now thinks it is the Bosch Jetronic Fuel ECU. The number on the green sticker is 0 280 000 221. My question is where would be a good location to send this unit to be tested and repaired if needed? I live in Sarasota Florida. Thank you for any help. Doug Wagner
5BF78384-87FF-4758-AB77-F77AD5EDFA4D.jpeg ABCB75D3-D6F9-41EB-9D16-1BC809A2C3DD.jpeg

·
Registered
86 Veloce
1,164 Posts
That would be the last thing I would suspect. You need to run through the L-jet troubleshooting guide thoroughly before suspecting the computer. No offense to your mechanic but unless he is well versed in Alfas that diagnosis is just a shot in the dark.....

Reactions: ghnl

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Have to agree with SkiBum...there are many more things to check first before condemming the ECU.

(edit) so the problem is it starts poorly (?), it idles OK-ish (?) and runs..... but wont go over 15mph, correct?
could be a lot of things, fuel pumps, fuel filter, fuel pressure

things I'd check first:
Fuel pressure regulator (remove the little vacuum hose off the top of the FPR and check for raw gas or just smell of gas..shouldn't be any...another test is to suck on that little hose (connected to the FPR but removed from the plenum) and it should hold pressure. And the hose should be intact, not split.

Obvious cause too, would be a loose or torn air hose (big one over the engine)...any leak there and it will idle sort of ok, but run terribly if at all. check it carefully.

What so far has the mechanic done? is he an alfa mechanic?

If at the end of the day the ECU is at fault, these guys in FL seem to be mentioned here on the BB quite often:
Specialized ECU Repair, Replacement Testing of Electronic Control Unit

1 - 4 of 4 Posts