Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
18,822 Posts
The O2 sensor has been lit for a month or so-the mechaninc said it comes on at mileage points-I am at 154K.

I drive the car maybe once a week a distance of 8 miles.
As you've been told, the light on the dash is triggered by a mileage counter. It is set to go off every 30,000 miles.

The O2 sensor life is typically 60,000-90,000 miles. By itself a failed O2 sensor won't cause the symptoms you describe but, when they do fail the computer reverts to its default mixture mode which is slightly rich. That, combined with your admitted only short drives could lead to the catalytic converter getting overwhelmed with a rich mixture (the cold running mixture is also a little richer). That will lead to the demise of the catalytic converter. Such a failure can plug the catalytic converter. If exhaust gasses cannot exit the engine it can act just as you describe.

Either that or someone stuck a potato up your exhaust pipe...

At the end of the day I don't see how I don't tow it to his shop anyway-not the way it was running this morning.
Do you have reasons to not trust your mechanic? Does he have a large boat payment due?

It will be a lot easier for someone with hands-on ability to diagnose your car than us idiots on the internets.

Anyway, if you don't want to seem like a dumb owner, peruse the Spider L-jet diagnosis page (link below) to learn a lot about your car's fuel injection, ignition & emissions systems.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.