Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alfisti,
I have a part time driver 84 Spider here in the Bay Area which is always garaged and fires up no problem. (Disclosure: The O2 sensor has been lit for a month or so-the mechaninc said it comes on at mileage points-I am at 154K). This morning after the car turned over I noticed the idle sounded clunky. The tailpipe seemed to rattle a little more than usual. Once I pulled out of the garage and on to the street the car had limited power and I nursed her around the block back into the garage (never got enough power to get out of first gear).

I think its a problem with the exhuast system but I did not have a chance to get under the car and check the muffler, etc.

Any ideas before I have it towed in to my Alfa mechanic? Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for lack of info-I was in a rush to get to the office and didn't spend time. I drive the car maybe once a week a distance of 8 miles. It really came out of nowhere but the only thing noticeable was the tailpipe rattle and obviously the lack of power once the clutch was released in first.

Before I phone my mechaninc and so I don't sound like a complete idiot, are there things I should listen or look for when I turn it over again this evening? Given my description are there any questions he is likely to put to me which I could better prepare to answer?

At the end of the day I don't see how I don't tow it to his shop anyway-not the way it was running this morning.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem with my mechaninc-he is Alfa only and good done work on my car before. Just want some idea on how to explain the issue or what possible problems are.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.