Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy... sigh, dumb question... I have searched around and looked on IAP site... does my 84 have a PCV valve? If so, can you tell me where it is located?

If I remove my oil dip stick... the car runs real rough... buddy of mine who knows cars a whole better than I, suggested it may need a new PCV valve, that the one I have may be stuck open?

Soooooo, with that in mind... do I have one and where might it be located?

Thanks!

Ron F.
-------

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Nope, you ain't got none :)

The closest you'll get is the oil vapor seperator located on the right fender near the plenum. (item #33 in this picture )

If that's clogged up, it'll cause a bit of wonkiness as it does eventually rebreathe through the intake plumbing sorta like a PCV valve would, but different.

For all intents and purposes though, the engine on L-jet is set up as a sort of sealed system, (emissions thing), so pulling the dipstick can actually upset that balance and cause the engine to run differently.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Heh heh heh... you have saved my bacon twice tonight, I appreciate it - big time! Thanks for all your help... :D:D:D
Thou shalt not allow false air to enter the engine. False air is any air, other than that allowed in by the Automatic Air Valve, that gets into the intake down stream of the vane that measures the air flow in the fuel injection system. Air is entering the crank case and getting into the intake via the oil separator.

·
Administrator
16,629 Posts
The 'pull up on dipstick and engine runs worse' is actually a good test of proper function of your Alfa motor's closed system. As John admonishes, all air must enter through the AFM only. The inside of the crankcase is kept under a slight vacuum. Lifting up the dipstick upsets that vacuum allowing unmetered air in thus causing the engine to idle poorly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts