Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
I have been watching an '84 Spider on ebay that is not too far from where I live. What are these cars like to work on? Are parts readily available? This would be a "project" car for me for tinkering and upgrading. But I don't want to get in over my head mechanically or financially. Example: could a semi-mechanical guy with a garage change / adjust the clutch? Upgrade the brakes? Tune the engine? I had assumed (maybe incorrectly) that the 70's vintage spiders were sort of basic to work on (other than the fuel injections systems). But I have not been looking or thinking about 80's vintage until this one popped up.
Any advice or opinions would be appreciated . . .
Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hi:
I have been watching an '84 Spider on ebay that is not too far from where I live. What are these cars like to work on? Are parts readily available? This would be a "project" car for me for tinkering and upgrading. But I don't want to get in over my head mechanically or financially. Example: could a semi-mechanical guy with a garage change / adjust the clutch? Upgrade the brakes? Tune the engine? I had assumed (maybe incorrectly) that the 70's vintage spiders were sort of basic to work on (other than the fuel injections systems). But I have not been looking or thinking about 80's vintage until this one popped up.
Any advice or opinions would be appreciated . . .
Thanks,
Rick
"throw us a frkn bone"
link please ;)
so we can look at it, and eventually tell you a bit about this particular one (if it is worth to bother)
in general Spiders are very nice and not very complicated cars... though double elbow hepls sometimes ;P

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"throw us a frkn bone"
link please ;)
so we can look at it, and eventually tell you a bit about this particular one (if it is worth to bother)
in general Spiders are very nice and not very complicated cars... though double elbow hepls sometimes ;P

Dr. Evil:

Here it is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-ALFA-ROMEO-SPYDER_W0QQitemZ280155591231QQihZ018QQcategoryZ84154QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(But yhat does not look like it is going to work . . .)

So the ebay item number is: 280155591231

Thanks,

Mini-me

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Thou shalt not buy rust. Sitting so long can also be a problem. How did everything under the hood get so rusty? No AC? All that aside, the pictures look nice. Read up and go see it in person.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Welcome to the BB, Rick!

You can work on a '84 Spider without much difficulty, but you do need to be patient and it will get tedious, especially with a car that has been sitting around, where there will be a lot to service and refurbish due to the lack of use. (I think you are talking about the "1984 ALFA ROMEO SPYDER", right?) The owner has definitely neglected his car (and can't even spell "Spider" :D), and based on the pics, it should not go for very much, but I wouldn't be afraid of it. Nonetheless, I would strongly suggest that you take a look at it and in-person, and especially check for rust underneath the car. (If you are not reasonably close, you may want to ask if someone on this BB who lives close would be willing to look at it for you.)

Best regards,

·
Registered
146 Posts
It definitely has some issues possibly lurking with all the "rust" under the hood. The bigger issue to me would be the rockers, undercarriage, rear suspension attachments, spare tire well, etc. If the car was near the salt air (Cohasset is very close to the ocean)then expect to be probably sorting a myriad of electrical gremlins, with corroded contacts, grounds etc. Not impossible, but can take the fun out of ownership chasing things around with a test lamp and multimeter. But, aside from that and the body issues that may exist, it's seems to be a nice car (the post '82 model years) as Alfa's go. GO LOOK AT IT IN PERSON. TAKE A REFRIDGERATOR MAGNET WITH YOU TO CHECK FOR ANY EXCESSIVE BONDO REPAIRS. Keep in mind, there are and will be other cars out there, yes, even here in New England. Personally, I wouldn't pay much more for it than it is now in its present condition.
IMHO, the post '82 Spiders are great drivers, will probably never be much of a collectable, at least not in my life time, if ever. And like it's been said, very easy to work on, parts are available from a good number of suppliers.
My suggestion would be to post a message in the "Club" area of the BB in the New England owner's club and seek out someone who's got some experience with AR's to give you a hand with the inspection. Spiders are so common I wouldn't be afraid of someone buying it from under you if you brought them along. Heck, if I were closer, I'd even go with you.
Good luck, and be patient.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts