Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Guys

I have an 84 spider that does a weird thing. In the winter time the car starts no problem in the summer time in the mornings starts perfect no problem. The. Weird part is that after me parking it on a warm day it sometimes won't start there is no starter sound or nothing almost like itS dead. If I jump the car no problem starts right up. Do you guys know what the problem may be it is intermitent and it hardly ever happens during the winter time or not at all it only happens in the summer. Are there any suggestions?

Thanks
Angel

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Having to jump the car tells me your battery is suspect. Remove and take it to Pep Boys or one of the other large chain parts stores and have it checked. Sometimes my battery will slowly discharge when the car is not run for a few weeks and found a bettery tender to keep it fully charged works wonders.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Ive already done that once and it was fine. I even replaced the battery and changed the terminals. It only happens on warm days which it is weird and its intermittent does not happen all the time

·
Administrator
17,621 Posts
I would start by cleaning all electrical connections between the battery & the starter. Don't assume they are OK - remove, clean & secure. Make sure the ground strap between the bellhousing and the transmission tunnel is present (clean & secure both ends of it, too).

A relay to send 12V+ to the starter will take the vast majority of electrical load off the ignition switch (a Good Thing). I think there is info about adding a relay in the Spider FAQ thread.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Gotta be a connection...cold causes shrinkage (as George from Seinfeld can attest to) which would lead to a tighter connection.

Where, exactly do you connect jumper cables?
What about the other end of the ground cable from the battery to the chassis?

During a no start, before connecting jumper cables, it seems that a meter or trouble light could be used to see where you lose power between the battery and the front of the car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
During this no start situation... If you turn on your headlights, are they lit up? What happens when you try and start it, do they go dim?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay ill check my connections however I cant start my car if the headlights are on only when they are off but it starts right up. I also converted my car over to halogens to take load off the start switch the kit from IAP great. I had this problem before I installed the kit.
I know during the summer time in the mornings no problem Im thinking my alternator may have something to do with it too. Ill have to check it.

Thanks for your comments

Angel

·
Administrator
17,621 Posts
The alternator is only functioning when the engine is running. If it were not charging the battery (when the engine is running) then you'd have trouble starting all the time - and especially when cold.

When you say you can't start it when the headlights are on do you mean it won't start because the battery does not have enough capacity to do both? If so, the battery is marginal at best. If you mean it won't start because of some interaction with the IAP headlight kit then we'd need more info about the kit.

BTW, halogen headlights will not reduce the electrical draw on the headlight switch. Relays are needed for that. Is that what you mean by the IAP kit?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep the IAP kit has relays for it. I think what is happening especially during the summer time if i run the air conditioner i get that no start situation or sometimes when I run my radio in the car im gonna check my connections but Ive also had the light for the alternator come on dimly I have not replaced it since I got the car about 3 years now

Angel

·
Administrator
17,621 Posts
That alternator light is more of a suggestion to think about the charging system than a real warning light that something isn't right. If you connect a voltmeter directly to the battery what does it read with everything shut off and then when cranking the engine and finally when the engine is running about 2000 rpm with electrical loads switched on?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ill get right to it Eric sorry about such a late post. I had a family situation and had to take care of it. Ill let you know by tomorrow

Angel

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay Eric did what u suggested and what happened with the everything off the battery gave me 12.5 volts maybe a little more turned on the car and it went up to 13.7 now as i started putting on the lights the radio didn't do the air conditioner. the number started dropping rapidly down to about 10 so i think the alternator may need replacing whats your view on this

Angel

·
Administrator
17,621 Posts
Have you removed, cleaned & secured all electrical connections between the battery/starter & alternator? Do that first. These connections must be 100% good - don't assume they are OK. Do it.

There is a junction box on the left inner fender. It has 2-3 red wires and a pair of green wires. Clean/secure those - that is the connection for the alternator's output. Clean all the connections at the starter motor (do these with the battery disconnected). And clean all the battery cables - including the ground cable's connection to the trunk floor & the ground strap between the bell housing & the transmission tunnel (under the car).

Repeat the test after doing all the above.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts