Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening
I have a 84 spider and have recently developed a new engine problem. The car will start up right away, idle and run fine for about 15 minutes or so.
Then suddenly I will push my foot on the accelerator and nothing will happen. Instead the car returns to a almost idle rpm and tends to have a mind of its own for 2-3 minutes. Once I feel the engine not responding to the throttle I coast over to the side of the road and sit in neutral. At this point the engine will tend to lower and increase rpm on it's own. I usually sit in the car and push on the gas pedal to try and get control back however nothing happens. After about 2 minutes of this random up and down throttling the engine will suddenly begin to respond to the gas pedal (sometimes I hear a slight pop or cough) and I will be on my way. After a few minutes of driving the same thing will happen again usually with a longer waiting period before coming back into control.
I know this isn't very much of a technical explanation, I figured car talk would have enjoy a situation like this. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you

·
Registered
what part?
10,897 Posts
check the air tubes, the big black ones that run across the motor, air ducts.. they are letting air in behind the air meter flap,, there are 4 big hose type clamps, loosin them up, clean the air ducts, re-instale them,, also, you motor mount.. are they really old, if so , that also can be a problem, old mounts let the motor move around alot, causeing the air ducts to let 'false ' air into them...for motor mounts, use paul spruell motor mounts, the one's with the alumiumn caps.. , also whre are you located,.. and of corse ...PHOTOS... of the car.....or a pretty girl :):) maybe just the car would work

1 - 2 of 2 Posts