Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car ran rough after being parked for three years. New fuel, fuel pumps and injectors but car still ran rough. Then found I had small amounts of water in cyl 3 n 4. and a trace in the oil. So a head gasket is in order? Decided to pull the engine in case it becomes more than a head gasket. Do I pull the tranny with it or can I get the engine out with out a hassle? Second question do I really need the AC unit in a convertible? She is a garage queen and driven on good days only. I would like to save some weight and space. Any thoughts from the Alfa gurus? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
You can get the engine out on it's own but you may struggle to get it back in. You are working blind when you try to align the engine and gearbox. I have done it but I felt that I got lucky.

The climate here in SC may be similar to yours. The PO had removed the AC from my car before I bought it. I don't miss it much and I like the extra space around the engine when I am working on it. I had my seats re-covered with cloth and that helps on hot, sunny days.

·
Premium Member
21,681 Posts
Conversely, I frequently pull engines without the trans, and don't have trouble lining them up on the way back in. That said, my cousin and I are having a heck of a time getting his BMW 2002 engine/trans to mate up. But I've never had trouble with Alfas.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If you pull the engine only, this inexpensive device really helps. Available from Harbor Freight Tools online or from a local outlet if you live near one. Price is about $30. It goes between the lifting hoist and the engine and allows you to change the angle of the engine hanging from the lift. Angle can be changed during the lifting process using the cross screw.

Good luck, Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
820 Posts
Car ran rough after being parked for three years. New fuel, fuel pumps and injectors but car still ran rough. Then found I had small amounts of water in cyl 3 n 4. and a trace in the oil. So a head gasket is in order? Decided to pull the engine in case it becomes more than a head gasket. Do I pull the tranny with it or can I get the engine out with out a hassle? Second question do I really need the AC unit in a convertible? She is a garage queen and driven on good days only. I would like to save some weight and space. Any thoughts from the Alfa gurus? Thanks.
do yourself a favor and maybe save yourself a great deal of work...

first retorque the head just like it is to the higher number that richard reccomemnds. then warm it up, drive it a bit, let it cool and then do it again. now do two tests... do a leak down and see what that says and if it pressurizes the coolant and second get a cooling system tester and put 13psi in the rad and see if the system holds pressure.

you have no information at all as it stands now that suggests the motor has to come out of that car.

i think you are jumping to conclusions and buying yourself a lot of work based on absolutely no real data at all. and even if it does need a head gasket, just do it with the motor in the car. that complete job will take less time than you would spend undoing the bellhousing bolts on an engine removal alone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts