Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Thanks to all the help on the board I think I have most of the gnd problems cleared up and I am able to start my beloved Spider.

I know it is fuel injected but should I have to hit the gas pedal at all prior to starting or should she start and turn over without having to hit the gas pedal at all .

Seems like I have to "assist her " by hitting it once or twice or am just imagining that ?

Thanks again for all of the help

Now I am chasing an intermittent condition with the lightswitch stalk so I will have to investigate that as well. Can I clean the contacts without taking switch out or will I have to take steering column and wheel off to check her out and clean her up .

Thanks again guys for all of the fantastic help you have given me. Bear with me ..I am a newbie to the Spider but thanks to you folks am learning more and more every day

Rick

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
You should never have to depress the gas pedal when starting your '84 Spider. The Bosch EFI system should take care of feeding the proper amount of gas. When cold, the coolant temperature sensor should send a signal to the ECU so that additional gas is delivered through the cold start injector and the car will rev higher for a few minutes, and then settle down to its normal idle... In a properly working car, if you depress the pedal when trying to start it, you will not just interfere and impede the start, but you will also flood it...

Best regards,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks re gas pedal start

Enrigue,

Thanks I thought that was probably the case. Should she fire right up or will it take a few short turns of the key ..or should I just turn the key once and with till it fires up . Again thanks for your patience with me...in a while I will not have to ask all of these newbie questions-smile

Enrigue ,( or others)- do you have any instructions on the best way to get to comination stalk switch to test/clean contacts. I have taken off the bottom of the steering wheel cowl but I seem to only have limited visibility and an not sure what I am looking at ..thanks again

Rick

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Rick,

When stock, my '84 would not always fire right up on the first turn of the key, but it would always on the second try. I don't think this is unusual at all, and in a car that works such as I described it is a no-no to press the pedal when starting it. Having to turn the key several times would be a bit too much, but I would suggest that if your car takes a few tries, but never fails to starts, then before you conclude that your car requires more tuning, you put some Techron in the gas tank and drive her for at least a tankful. (Techron is the only product I have found that truly cleans deposits well and safely, but it could take more than one tankful.) Note that it is also normal for you Spider to spit out a bit of black soot and condensed water through the tailpipe, as it is warming up.

I didn't offer any advice on the combination switch because I have really not fooled with that myself, so I would have to look at my '84 Workshop Manual, but it is with the Spider, hibernating for the winter... There are threads on the BB about the stalk, and other fellow BBers have hands-on experience with this. Thus, I would try a search and if you find the right direction, ask specific question right on that thread. (Reviving an old thread is one of the best ways to keep good info together.) The one thing I can tell you about the stalk is that it is delicate, and there are no new replacements...

I'm sure others more knowledgeable than me will also chime in. And don't worry about asking too many questions. That is what this BB is all about.

Best regards,

·
Administrator
17,701 Posts
There is lots of info about the L-jetronic system used in our cars in the L-jet page - see my signature block for the link.

As others have said, you shouldn't need to touch the gas pedal to start the car (hot or cold) IF everything is working right. Try all the suggestions in the L-jet page but pay special attention to the Cold Start System and the AAV.

One other idea would be to switch the ignition on-off-on 2 or 3 times before you crank the engine. That will ensure the fuel rail is fully pressurized before you turn the key to 'start'. If that seems to make any difference then maybe either the fuel filter(s) need replacement or the fuel pump(s) are weak (or both).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts