Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still chasing my starting issues on my new and beloved '84 Spider. Can anyone tell me exactly what the Red EXH Sensor light tell me ( the one behind the stick shift with the Red brake, Red seatblet, Blue High and Green lights ) .

I have gotten to the point where when I turn the ignition key the Red brake ( if emergency brake is on ) and the RED seat belt ( in not attatched ) will come on but the Exh Sensor ligth does not. Seems to me someone said that unless that lamp comes on the car wiill not start.

The car cranks every time,,,,but sure enought the blasted car will not start.

Help fellow Spiderer's ( is that a word ? ) out there.

Thanks in advance. you guys on this board are great..especially for a newbie like myself !!!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
That light comes on every 30,000 miles to remind you that the exhaust sensor, which is the oxygen sensor (or lambda sensor) screwed into the exhaust pipe, needs to be replaced. It has nothing to do with starting the car. After it is reset, it will come back on in 30,000 miles, regardless of whether the O2 sensor was changed or not.

Best regards,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Enrique,

Thanks for quick reply. I will keep chasing that intemittent ground to get her to start more reliable.

Glad to hear that this can eliminate anotther potential source of problem.

Rick

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is an old thread, but my exhaust sensor is lighting up as I just hit 90,000 (go figure, they come on every 30,000 miles). The car runs fine and wondering if I really need to replace or can I just reset it (and how do I reset it?) or does it go off on its own?

·
Administrator
17,811 Posts
If the O2 sensor is indeed 90,000 miles old you might consider replacing it. Even if you don't need to have your car smog tested, a functioning O2 sensor will help improve fuel mileage. There is info in the Spider FAQ thread about generic O2 sensors to replace the more expensive original one.

And, I think the procedure to reset the EXH Sensor light is also in the Spider FAQ thread.
Click here

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
I've seen this topic come up before and each time I read about it, I keep meaning to remember to check if such as light exists in my 87. Does anybody know what years this light applies it. Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mike, I don't know what years, but it is a light right next to the headlight and high ram indicator as well as the seatbelt warning.

Eric, thanks for the link and you have always been a great help. I tried searching and didn't find a thread like this as I knew one must exist. I know Darren is smiling down knowing his knowledge is still being used and appreciated. Of course he is probably rolling his eyes that I didn't see his tread to begin with!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hard to start

I also have a 84 and I found that if the battery is not really really charged up it will not start. I carry a jump starter and put a trickle charger on it when parked. That solved my problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts