Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering returning to the Golden State after many years of absence. I have a 67 mustang that would never pass a smog inspection and an 84 Alfa that I'm toying with the idea of turbo-charging :D (I look forward to all opinions) What would be the consequences of on me of attempting to register these vehicles again in CA? I doubt the ol' garbage-lumber supplies truck, 73 chevy with 454 driven 10x a year would do too well either.

Thanking you in advance for any responses.

David

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
The CA DMV will know which of the vehicles were originally registered in CA; other than that there's no real issue registering them. Vehicles from model year 1975 or earlier are categorically exempt from smog check, so there won't be any problem at all with the '67 Mustang and the Chevy.

The '84 Alfa and the others will have to pass the smog standards for their respective model years. Legally, you can't remove smog equipment, so any of the post-'75 vehicles that have been 'de-smogged' won't technically be legal. However, as a practical matter, most smog check stations wouldn't recognize nonstandard equipment on an '84 Alfa; if it drives in and makes the numbers for its model year, it should pass.

This site should help: http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/Smogcheck/doineed.htm

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

Thanks for the reply and the web site, I'll take a look. I originally bought the Mustang in California and then moved to Denver, this was back in 85 or so, and when I came back to Calif they wanted me to repay all of the sales taxes for bringing the car back into the state. That will be another fun issue if the time comes. Anyhow, thank you for the reply.

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts