Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to acquire my first Alfa, an '84 Spider.

The owner mentioned an issue with 2nd gear. I read elsewhere that this is likely a synchro issue. I can live with this (I own a '71 Land Rover with no synchro on 1st or 2nd), but wonder if this will sooner than later lead to other gearbox issues.

They also indicated the car idles rough when cold. Any ideas what to look for?

I'm going to look at it tomorrow and would appreciate any other pointers in what to look for. I know the interior and top are not in the greatest shape.

What about rust?

If it is just tidying up the interior/top, tightening up the suspension and living with double-clutching 2nd, it sounds like a good deal.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
Larry

·
Administrator
16,629 Posts
I'm looking to acquire my first Alfa, an '84 Spider.
Good choice - we have an '84 Spider - our first Alfa, too. Welcome to the BB, BTW.

The owner mentioned an issue with 2nd gear. I read elsewhere that this is likely a synchro issue.
Sometimes the fix can be as simple as using the right gear oil. Alfa specifies Shell Spirax. That is available from most of the 'on-line' suppliers (see the "suppliers thread in the "Anything About Alfa Romeos" section of the BB). Others have reported good results using a RedLine product.

They also indicated the car idles rough when cold. Any ideas what to look for?
Peruse the Spider L-jet diagnosis page - there is a link in my signature block.

What about rust?
What about it? Rust is not good. Our Spiders depend on the structural integrity of the sills/rockers/floor pans for the strength of the unibody (no chassis). Rust there is not merely cosmetic. And it is always worse than it appears on the outside.

Where in cyberspace are you located? It would be a good idea to contact a local Alfa club. There is likely someone there who'd be willing to help you check out any potential purchases.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm located in Norfolk VA. Are you a member of the Mid-Atlantic AROC? It would be nice to make it to the annual meeting in Manteo.

From what I have read the later Spiders are not that susceptible to rust, that is compared to older Alfas and other marks. Are there specific areas to look at?

The car is posted on CL. <http://norfolk.craigslist.org/car/475247807.html>. Anybody look at it yet? It's been for sale for awhile.

Cheers,
Larry

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I don't believe the synchro will lead to anything else, and like ghnl said, sometimes just changing the fluid can help a bit. The other issue doesn't sound very serious either, most likely a bad hose letting air in somewhere....the mid 80's Spiders don't like that very much!!:rolleyes:
The Spiders are great cars, rust sucks but if the price is right and you aren't worried about it buy it. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts