Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I await the work on my head, I am finding some more Alfa oddities in the cooling system compared to the German cars of the period I am familiar with. Are there any coolant flow diagrams out there? I have never seen coolant directed into the intake manifold before.

Searching online I see many differences between years and displacements for the 4 cyl cars. My car has 2 oil passages and one coolant passage in the back castings the block. A few model years one way or the other and I see a lot of variation; heads with no oil passages here? The head gasket only allows for passage of the oil and the coolant passage is blocked.

You can see in the picture that there is still some coolant in the passage even though I have "drained" the block from the lower rear drain port. What's up here? Also why have the passage here if it is blocked from entering the head, i.e., how does this circulate?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
While I do not know all of your answers, I am surprised that none of the experts have not jumped on this post.
Anyone?

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
you'll likely find that although your block has 3 holes back there, your L-jet cylinder head has only 2 of those corresponding.
3 drainback at the rear of the block and 2 holes in the head and 2 holes in the Reinz gasket is normal for your model.
Right Head Gasket????!!!

you need to use a bead of sealant at the back when putting it together (the old gaskets had this bead, the new Reinz hasn't anymore)

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
you'll likely find that although your block has 3 holes back there, your L-jet cylinder head has only 2 of those corresponding.
3 drainback at the rear of the block and 2 holes in the head and 2 holes in the Reinz gasket is normal for your model.
Right Head Gasket????!!!

you need to use a bead of sealant at the back when putting it together (the old gaskets had this bead, the new Reinz hasn't anymore)
Thanks Dom
I just saw this and thought either you or Jim G could answer for him.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right Head Gasket????!!!

Oh yes, just wondering why Alfa put that coolant galley to nowhere in the block (and why it didn't drain out when the block drained). I was less than impressed with the Reinz so with info from Bernard, I went with Payen. Hopefully to be installed soon once I choose my O rings! See post follow up.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Oh yes, just wondering why Alfa put that coolant galley to nowhere in the block (and why it didn't drain out when the block drained). I was less than impressed with the Reinz so with info from Bernard, I went with Payen.
coolant?...
can' t imagine that middle one is coolant....(tbh. I never thought about it....I just considered those slots oil drain back slots.
if it was coolant why put a bead of sealant like this.....

gasket.jpg
Reinz gaskets are good gaskets. Whoever worked on it last probably less so....I think someone put that Reinz on without the required bead of sealant and the coolant from block worked its way under the gasket into that middle slot.

got a photo of your gasket flipped over...that should show the failure point.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Therein lies the rub, one of a few actually. The outer galleys are oil, the inner coolant. Whoever was in there last didn't use a bead of sealant here. They also didn't use the oil galley o rings!
One reason I will be using a Payen gasket is that they come pre sealed around the these return galleys whereas Reinz makes users account for their shortcomings.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
hopefully there was no coolant in the oil...if so you need to drain that quick.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
You might consider pulling the lower oil pan so that you can get more of that out of the crankcase. Easy to do in the car.
Once you put it back together, do not run it very long before you change the oil again to flush out more of that.
I have seen Alfas fry rod and/or main bearings from running without flushing

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
yuck. Hopefully that blew when you were close to home (on the journey back from the seller) and it wasn't driven for any length of time.

obviously forgetting to place the 6 little o-rings on the oilways and the bead of sealant along the back didn't help
some shoddy work.
can't blame that on poor ol' Mr. Reinz ;)

hopefully it all goes back together nicely....let us know how the payen gasket works out

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
788 Posts
Is this a holdover from the SPICA cars? Coolant goes thru the manifold I assume to actuate the TA on SPICA.

I assume the intake manifold for the Bosch does not have a coolant passage but likely the block & head still have the passage cast into them. I would imagine the coolant just dead ends in that point on a Bosch spider.

The Bosch throttle body has a coolant passage but since I can't run out and pop the hood (car at home) I'm guessing the coolant source is from the heater hose loop and/or head directly and not the intake manifold.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
I you notice the coolant is just sitting in there. This is just a dead end hole. It does nothing.

I believe it is a left over from the 50's/60's design that had the crankcase vent on the back of the head. Which went away in the mid to late 60's. The 2 outer ones are the oil drains from the cam valleys. The holes shown in the block went away in the 86/87 model year.

Attachments

Reactions: Bernhard
1 - 13 of 13 Posts