Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my gearbox with one out of a '78, and now the shift lever hits me in the knee when I shift into second? Is there a difference in the shift lever length between the two years? Other than removing and cutting it down, is there a shorter one available?

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Shift Sticks!

Take a look at this picture of my Shift Stick collection. My '84 driver has one like the top version with the bend. The straight sticks came off of a '76 a '79 and an '80. Which one will help you?

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it looks like they are all the same length? I will try repositioning mine. I kind of like the bent shaft idea. How does it work for you? Seems this would "set" the travel a little higher and away from my knee when shifting to second. How far is the throw to 5th?

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Length of the Stick and "the throw"

I do not find it uncomfortable to use the bent shifter. I'm small, 5'7" and have a sleeve length of 32" ( not that I expect you to buy me a shirt). I like to drive away from the steering wheel, sort of at arms length, with a little bit of an elbow bend. Shifting into 5th gear just requires me to sit up slightly and lean to the right.
If the repositioning does not work, let me know and I'll send you whichever will help you feel more comfortable while driving.
Ray;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts