my radiator fans are not turning on, ever, which caused my car to overheat the other day in traffic. i tested the fans and both of them work. where is there thermostat which controls them/how easy is it to replace/fix.
It is mounted on the radiator on driver's (US) side on the engine bay, should have two wires hooked up to it. You can leave the key on and touch the two wires and that should turn your fans on, you can leave it that way until you get a replacement switch. If you are quick, you can replace it with out draining too much coolant. It is pretty easy to replace.
Radiator thermal switch just makes ground to energize fan relay(s). So if jumping two wires together at switch does not turn on fan or click a relay with key on you need to troubleshoot the circuit. Relay(s) actually run(s) the fan(s). Quite a system of wiring them up especially with A/C.
Does car have A/C if so does it have second "tropicaire" evaporator under glove box? There is another set of relays tied into circuit to run both cooling fan with a/c, too.
If not just bad thermal switch in radiator let us know.
i jumped the fan thermostat and fans turn on correctly. i noticed that the wiring on the thermostat was faulty and i have repaired it.
another thing is that my temp gauge is not operating but the overheat light did go off.
indeed, or, if the car is warm, just smack the top of the dashboard above the temp gauge... perhaps the needle is just stuck...
That what I've seen 99% of the time...
If that's the case, dismantling the gage and bending the needle back a little so it doesn't touch the plate is very easy, like building a model airplane... do it at the kitchen table with your family watching and stun them with your technical prowess!
the needles are fine, and i polished connectors. i checked the voltage at the thermostat; with the connectors connected it red 13v on both terminals. i un-connected them, and it read 0v on both. so the voltage is comming from the gauge lines. im not sure how this thermostat sensor is supposed to work. is it just a variable resistor to ground? or is the 13v on the gauge side of the connection a mistake.