Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my radiator fans are not turning on, ever, which caused my car to overheat the other day in traffic. i tested the fans and both of them work. where is there thermostat which controls them/how easy is it to replace/fix.

thanks
alex

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
It is mounted on the radiator on driver's (US) side on the engine bay, should have two wires hooked up to it. You can leave the key on and touch the two wires and that should turn your fans on, you can leave it that way until you get a replacement switch. If you are quick, you can replace it with out draining too much coolant. It is pretty easy to replace.

·
Registered
26 Posts
check the fusebox

I had exactly the same problem recently. Fans were ok ... turns out the wire was loose at the fusebox - an easy fix

·
Premium Member
26,891 Posts
Radiator thermal switch just makes ground to energize fan relay(s). So if jumping two wires together at switch does not turn on fan or click a relay with key on you need to troubleshoot the circuit. Relay(s) actually run(s) the fan(s). Quite a system of wiring them up especially with A/C.

Does car have A/C if so does it have second "tropicaire" evaporator under glove box? There is another set of relays tied into circuit to run both cooling fan with a/c, too.

If not just bad thermal switch in radiator let us know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i jumped the fan thermostat and fans turn on correctly. i noticed that the wiring on the thermostat was faulty and i have repaired it.
another thing is that my temp gauge is not operating but the overheat light did go off.

·
Premium Member
26,891 Posts
Check temp gauge and red light wiring slip on connectors on front of engine at engine thermostat housing sender by left timing belt cover (atlernator side of engine).

Smaller connector is red light and larger one is gauge wiring.

·
Registered
141 Posts
indeed, or, if the car is warm, just smack the top of the dashboard above the temp gauge... perhaps the needle is just stuck... :)

That what I've seen 99% of the time...

If that's the case, dismantling the gage and bending the needle back a little so it doesn't touch the plate is very easy, like building a model airplane... do it at the kitchen table with your family watching and stun them with your technical prowess!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i had to bend back the gauge needle on the speedometer and tach, ill check wiring and gauge and report back later.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the needles are fine, and i polished connectors. i checked the voltage at the thermostat; with the connectors connected it red 13v on both terminals. i un-connected them, and it read 0v on both. so the voltage is comming from the gauge lines. im not sure how this thermostat sensor is supposed to work. is it just a variable resistor to ground? or is the 13v on the gauge side of the connection a mistake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts