Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy.

I am inches from buying an '84 GTV6 from a friend, and had the opportunity to familiarize myself with the transaxle and inboard brakes over the weekend by helping the current owner with a caliper rebuild.

In the process, we discovered that the parking/emergency brake cable had seized - because the cable itself is not sliding in the housing, releasing the lever buckles the cable just above the giubo, allowing the cable to contact the bolts and make a rather unpleasant clicking.

Removing the cable seemed fairly straightforward until we realized a few very unsettling things:

- The square pass-through retainer on the underside of the tunnel does not seem to allow the housing to slide through for removal, and appears to be welded to the floor (unlike the fold-over guide further back, and the bolted retainer in the middle)
- There's no easy access to the cottered clevis at the back of the drawbar - even if it could be removed, there doesn't seem to be space to reinstall without removing the exhaust, shift linkage, or driveshaft.
- Should the clevis be left intact, the pin is too wide to slide forward through the slot in the floor to be disassembled/reassembled and reinstalled from the cabin.

Have any of you had experience replacing the cable, and what sort of tricks did you employ?

Thanks much in advance.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I've only done this job with the drive shaft out of the way. Cotter and clevis come out and then the cable housing slides out of the retainer. Maybe there is a sneaky trick that I don't know.

Sounds like you are receiving a baptism by fire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We definitely figured there was no way to get the cotter out in situ.

A little "modification" to the pass-through would allow the whole assembly to slide forward into the cabin, but that seems pretty cheesy.

It would be really nice if there were a way to replace a bloody 4' cable without dropping the exhaust and driveshaft, because heaven knows that's only going to let more bats out of the attic.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm in the process of pulling my broken e-brake cable out of a 1978 GT.
Looks like I'm removing the exhaust, and pulling drive shaft.

Later in the future, when I do a full restoration, I will put an access hole/cover from inside the cabin.
Maybe even chrome plate, or make out of stainless to look nice.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
I remove the handbrake assembly inside the car, think it's 3 bolts. Lift it up to get access and you can disconnect and connect the cables easily.
Never had to remove anything underneath to replace a cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts