Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time the ignition timing is set the car runs likes new! Within 500-1000 miles the timing changes on its own (for the worse). Symptoms manifest themselves as rough/low idle, mis/backfiring, reduced power on acceleration, pinging. Symptoms come and go until the car becomes nearly undriveable. Within the past year I've changed the fuel regulator, fuel filter, convertor, coil, wires, cap, rotor. Mechanic suspects the distributor is worn. Anyone rebuild one, or know of a place that specializes in rebuilds?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric,

Thanks for the response! The clamping assembly was tight (and clamps tightly) according to my mechanic (Alfa mechanic), yet the timing was off significantly. Set it up and it runs smooth and powerful at idle and under load! Slight adjustment to the switch (TPS) also took care of an occasional mild backfire. But the bulk of the drivability problem was solved with the timing. Its funny how smooth the V6 is when its running right!. Lots of shakes, rattles, clanking that sounds/feels like something in the clutch or unbalanced drive shaft can simply be timing.

He, and now I, suspect the distributor is worn. I guess its either gearing or bushings that are allowing movement. Or it could be the sensor. But I think it's narrowed down to something with the distributor since in addition to the other items I've replaced vacuum hoses (Greg's silicon), AAV, injector connectors, temp sensor for injection system, clean all grounds). Someone needs to come up with a distributorless ignition system for the GTV6!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts