Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Completed Duetto Rear Clip and V6 Conversion, what a Job. Started with "Beater" 84' Spider, because it already had Red Hi-Performance Springs fitted and I wanted to use a later S3 Spider for the higher gear ratio. Also picked-up a 69' Round-Tail, Rear Clip so, we're off to the races. Work started in March with the MIG Welder in hand. As for the Engine Swap, Clearances at Steering box and Cross Member couldn't be closer, but, we got it in there, although I don't have 1/2" clearance at the hood, mostly because I decided to Fabricate and different Intake, using two 164 plenums, this is where my "height Clearances" arose. In the Engine Build, I used "S" Cams and of course, built Stainless Headers. I have no room at the Hand Break-Drive Shaft area, so I'm still trying to figure something out there. Also, cut-out the front Lip, (Spoiler) from the 84' and welded in an earlier, S2 Chin with Fabricated S1 Bumpers.
This of course, is the "short version", with months of work condensed into a paragraph. I've Driven this some and am Thrilled with the performance. Hear are some Pics Bob Lesher

Attachments

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Where is the "Edit" Que? Wanted to add, I used a Toyota Supra W58, Transmassion because the "Alfa" gear ratio, being "Too Close", would not have been appropriate.

·
Super Moderator
10,081 Posts
Wow. An amazing piece of work. I am particularly impressed with how you used two plenums to lower the intake system, thereby avoiding the need for a clearance hump in the hood. Most spider V6 conversions that I've seen have a hump, which just ruins the lines of the spider. And destroys the "sleeper" nature of the swap.

I used a Toyota Supra W58, Transmassion
There must be a story on what it took to adapt the Toyota trans to the Alfa engine. I'm a lso wondering how you accommodated the new gearshift position in the console.

nealric said:
The backdate conversion looks surprisingly clean.
It does! But you must be looking for another project now. One suggestion would be to replace that 80's era panel behind the hood with one from an earlier spider. That black plastic scoop is a give-away that this is a modern spider.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. An amazing piece of work. I am particularly impressed with how you used two plenums to lower the intake system, thereby avoiding the need for a clearance hump in the hood. Most spider V6 conversions that I've seen have a hump, which just ruins the lines of the spider. And destroys the "sleeper" nature of the swap.

There must be a story on what it took to adapt the Toyota trans to the Alfa engine. I'm a lso wondering how you accommodated the new gearshift position in the console.
Installing the Toyota Transmission, of course required building a Bell-housing, which we have done many times, using the front 2" of a Milano BH. and the back section of the Toyota BH. both welded together, very carefully. also, the tunnel of the car had to be cut, (at the Gas Pedal area), and widened slightly to accomodate the wider BH. and the Hyd. Clutch, which is on the left side. The Toyota shifter is not working out all that well, as it has too much travel in the console boot area, so I am contemplating removing the console altogether, to get back to what an original "roundtail" Spider looks like, (but with carpeting). I will need to find an early, horizontal heater cable control panel, (if anyone has one?). Bob

It does! But you must be looking for another project now. One suggestion would be to replace that 80's era panel behind the hood with one from an earlier spider. That black plastic scoop is a give-away that this is a modern spider.
Thank you, yes, I like that idea, I might have one of those lying around.
And thanks everyone, for your positive feedback.
Alas, I am 68 Years old, this may be my last "Big Project", ( I keep saying that). Others in the basement include:
59' Giulietta Spider Normale, restored.
70' Volvo P1800, fully customized body with Volvo Pinta AQ171 Engine.
70' Porsche 901 Carerra-6 Replica, (2.0 911 powered, VW type III based), restored.
72' Montreal, (Driver).
75' Ferrari 275 GTB4, (BMW V12 Powered, 260Z based), Restored.
and a 84' GTV-6, 3.0, LSD Diff. Mostly restored.
(There are Utube Video's on most of these). Bob

Bob

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Congratulations (I too have a roundtail rear clip and have dreamed of such a conversion). You are going to have a lot of fun. I drove Nick Mutos V6 conversion. It was a bit raw, chirped the tires so easily, and sounded, awesome. That word awesome is overused, but awesome it was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts