Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I an a novice mechanic with an 84 alfa veloce that has always been hard to start but one day won't start at all. I am starting to check the electrical system and the ignition coil voltage output to the distributor is 12v with the ignition on. I thought it was suppose to be 200v or is that only when cranking?

Thanks

·
Administrator
17,766 Posts
I don't think one can measure coil output with the usual home mechanic tools (at least I've never tried...).
See this page: IAP Tech page

I do suggest you go though all the steps in the L-jetronic Spider diagnosis page (link below). Pay particular attention to electrical connections/grounds and system voltage. If the battery is marginal it can sound like the engine is cranking OK but if that draws the system voltage down to ~ 10.5V or less the computers will not power on and send the spark/fuel signals.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Please check BB Rules

OK, sugadoc...just goin' to say this one more time:

Posters who report issues with their Alfa's, get some advice and then disappear, never to be heard from again will be subject to "unspecified retaliatory measures", as described in the Rules and Regs of Alfa BB, Section 9, Paragraph 7, Items 8-17 :D.

So what was your outcome?

Try to keep your response to under 100 words since the current crop of social networking types who are taking over the universe seem to have a 144 character attention span :cool:.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the delay getting back.

I did get a good spark at the spark plug when I cranked the engine so I then checked the fuel system. It was the fuse for the fuel pump. It did not burn out but the fuse link shifted and was no longer touching both ends and the connection was broken. I replaced the fuse and the car started up.

Thanks for your help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts