Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -
It's been a while.
I'm just now attempting to install a new starter in my '83 Spider and am painfully aware that the refurbed starter I bought is different than what is installed (presumably from new).
What's installed has threaded holes in the mounting plate and the bolts insert from back to front. What I purchased (unwittingly) is a starter with non-threaed holes, which I'm assuming allow a bolt and nut to be used to install the starter, which makes ALOT of sense when I look at the current set up and getting a wrench in there.
So...if I buy the correct bolts, can the newer fastening scheme be used with my current block. I've been browsing the interenet about this, and apparently there are 2 different bolts/nuts combos that go with the newer starters.

Any help from you all would be MOST appreciated!

As always, thanks in advance!

Craig

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
The correct starter uses three bolts with nuts. (Not sure about what you have working with a threaded mounting plate, at least that's not what's on my '85). One of these (the middle one) is a special shoulder bolt, which needs to be the right bolt so that the starter is aligned properly. A link to IAP's page for the shoulder bolt is below.

Alfa Romeo and Fiat Starters and Solenoids

92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much sloboy-
I think I've solved the riddle:
based on my experience with this particular car, my hunch is that the PO must've been a machine shop owner, or at least associated with one (don't ask).
In this particular case, he/she must've lost the through-bolts for the starter, and, in an interesting genius move, instead, threaded the holes in the mounting plate and installed the starter using 5/8" bolts. THAT was fun figuring out.
I've spoken with the guy I bought the refurbed starter from and he is going to send along the through bolts.
Isn't it great that PO's add so much intrigue and frustration to our Alfa lives?

Thanks again -
Craig

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
In this particular case, he/she must've lost the through-bolts for the starter, and, in an interesting genius move, instead, threaded the holes in the mounting plate and installed the starter using 5/8" bolts.
Well, it's good that you figured it out, but you may not be out of the woods. If he drilled out the holes in the bell housing to accommodate a larger-diameter bolt, you may have a problem going back to smaller bolts. In particular, the shoulder bolt needs to fit exactly in order to align the teeth on the starter to the flywheel.

Good luck!

92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...that might have to be our little secret.
What's really interesting is that I can't get the center bolt out of the bell housing due to a metal flange on the firewall...hits the head of the bolt DEAD ON. And if there's an obstruction getting it out, seems like it'll be hair-ripping-out tough to get the new bolt in.
OY.

92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...bent the flange slightly and out came the bolt (not threaded into the bell housing). Makes me realize that AR never intended these (or this) bolt to come out of the bell housing. Nuts just came off the opposite end and everyone's happy.

Will keep everyone posted on this thrilling edge-of-your-seat adventure.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Good to hear. If I recall, the shoulder bolt is put in with the bolt head at the starter flange and the nut behind the bell-housing flange. At least on my car, the other two bolts have the opposite orientation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts