Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been awhile since I posted anything on the restoration of my CA Spec GTV6. Its been over at the body shop for about 4 months. Went over today to measure the AC condenser. Quite a bit of progress was made. I have told them to work on the car as time allowed. The car has been taken down to bare metal except for the quarter panels which I had already done. Here are some pics. Car should be primed in the next couple of weeks so I think it will be done by year end. You will notice that the rear hatch is not stripped. Another hatch has been stripped and primed as the original one had rust in the lower corners.

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been keeping the faith for a long time. I've owned the car since new! I suspect that original owners are rare! Terry

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is pretty easy. Open the rear hatch. You will see on the rear deck on each side of the trunk opening three rivets. Drill those out and remove the carpeted panels. This will allow you to peel up the interior trim that covers the three nuts that secure the exterior triangular trim. I think you may have to remove the stainless trips that run along the bottom of the side windows. Terry

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its been awhile but the car has now been primed in a black primer. The shop is now going thru the car to find any imperfections. They did find a minor rust spot on the rear quarter pane behind the driver side wheel well and are fixing that up. Should be ready for paint selection (it will be black metallic as original) in about 3 weeks as there is no hurry. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should be painted in the next few weeks. Waiting for paint samples. The car will be painted metallic black as original.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Great looking car and the original owner! WOW! Any pics of it from back in the day?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My GTV6 is an California spec 83. The CA spec 83 was essentially the same as a 1984 49 State car except for the gear ratios. The Recaro style seats were standard. I have owned the car since new having bought in June 1983. The car was taken to bare metal. I am pleased with the result6s!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Man, that's nice! Even those "S" rims look pretty good on there. Oddly, the black looks like Charcoal Grey on my screen.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, it is lighter than the original color. we use the original paint code but the body shop said that it is not uncommon that the color comes out lighter when using new type paints. Frankly I like this better! I used the color restore products on the pebbled plastic trim and overall am pleased with those results. Once I get everything back on I will probably put the clear bra product on. I also think I need to have the brake booster rebuilt. I had the calipers rebuilt, replaced the master cylinder and replaced the discs. After 2 professional bleedings the brakes are not up to snuff. Kind of mushy and the booster is the only thing that has not rebuilt or replaced.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The restoration is more or less complete (of course they never are !). The car is down at Ferrari of Salt Lake having the middle flex disk replaced. This is well within my capabilities but I have retired from working under jack stands. To summarize what was done:

I rebuilt the suspension
PNB rebuilt the calipers
Don's Auto Body in Millville UT did the paint and replaced using patch panels that I had for 10 years rust right behind the front wheels
Reverted to the original hydraulic tensioner supplied by Jason of Alfissimo and installed by Zackspeed on this forum
Put in C&B cams (forget which grind)
Installed new Magnaflow Cat
!64S wheels

The pics were taken yesterday at Ferrari of Salt Lake where the middle flex disk is being replaced (been on the car since 1983). Speaking of the middle flex disk, I called all the Alfa Suppliers in the US and none had them. Contacted EB Spares in the UK and they had them. Ordered one last Monday. It arrived Friday via DHL!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts