Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted some things about my interior overhaul in the resoration area of the bb, but thought I'd start a thread on it and hopefully they'll be something useful for someone else.

I pulled the interior last week after taking the door off to get a crack on the inside of the door and a rust spot repaired. I'd heard some things about carpet dyeing so gave it a go - it worked very well :)

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=32361

GV

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For years the rubber boot on the steering column at the firewall has been shot with a big crack around it and gapping a good 3/8" - the part is a long time not available. In the winter it was most noticeable with cold air on the ankles and who knows what exhaust gas/fumes from the engine compartment coming in. I had it covered with duct tape which helped a little.

So I cut a piece of thin rubber to size and wrapped it around the split, glued it over the split using crazy glue, then coated the seems with black silicone - the duct tape in the photo is just holding the edge down until the glue sets.

GV

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, noticed that the rubber grommet where the gas peddle rod goes through the firewall is also shot. Don't know the odds of finding one of those new ... proabbly not good, but it such a small hole that I won't bother with it if the part is not avail.

I noticed 3 - 1/2" holes on the inside of the body at the bottom of the doors, and put a piece of duct tape over each hole. Also on the back panel behind the back set - Plan to get some Damplifier over these areas as well, and thought the access holes for the top of the rear shocks should probably get sealed just in case exhaust gases coould come in from there.

GV

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I am at this I will be replacing my old security sytem, and the stereo receiver. The existing Blaupunkt only works as a radio, but the the 6x9 speakers in the back deck lid are fine as are the 6" rounds in the side panels of the back seats. I'm tempted to added speakers to the doors down low, but at the same time really hate to cut into the panels as they are in top condition!

The upholstry job will hopefully happen not to far down the road but need to save a few more pennies before having it done.

GV

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The interior is in top shape except for the upholstery, and the headliner could use a redo. The plan is to do the seats soon and the headliner later. My seven year running restore on it has been to keep the car original but with just minor touches done to it - nothing too race or too modified.

So, here's a picture of the seats right now, the shop will do the fronts in any colors I wish, but I plan to stay with the blue. The back seat top panels will get replaced and then they are going to dye the entire back seat to match the new material put on the front seats (since the back seat is still in good shape and I am on a tight budget).

So, a few opinions would be helpful. I could go with different color piping but don't want anything too over the top. I thought about blue seats with black piping, or maybe silver piping since it's a silver car?

One idea someone suggested is that I have the front seats ribbed or stitched like on an Ferrari - I've cruised the net for images but haven't come across anything yet, so I have no idea what they were talking about.

I've also attached an image of what the seats looked like when basically new - In any case anyone with 2-cents for some tasteful ideas? Stitching patterns would be a big help to see if anyone knows of some nice ones!

GV

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is how the originals once looked (not my car) - though the color is much more faded out then mine are even today. Maybe if they were stitched with even spaced ribs down the whole seat middle?
GV

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think that they meant the "daytona" seat type, which is much like yours, but with more pronounced bulges.

Have had trouble finding pictures that does it honour, though.

Ahh, here was a better. Doesn't have to be contrasting, though.

For good pictures on the stiching mentiones, go to Cchan's GTV6 restoration thread, it's a decent example. However, here is my mate's Fiat Coupé Turbo...:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my drivers' side door back yesterday and back on the car, as mentioned there was a 2-inch crack down the door jamb side of it - from the bottom of the window frame down. They did a nice job of welding the seam and then welding a shaped plate of steel over it for reinforcing.

GV

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Onto the inside.
I found the inner rubber shift boot was wasted - Called Alfa Parts in Berkeley expecting to get the "no-way" since it's a rubber piece for the gtv6. At first Jon said no, then I said really? Thinking there must be some stock of these still since it isn't something that people usually replaced when there were more of v6's on the road ...

To my surprise (and his) they were still available! He ordered two, I got one, he may be able to get more of them, but I can't imagine there are a ton of them around (even IAP lists them as a no-got) ... you might want to give him a call even though it is a non-critical part. (510) 525-9435

GV

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stereo Speaker Wire Size?

Well, since this is part of my interior overhaul I'll ask here - and if no response I'll make a new thread on it...

I just got my new Blaupunkt receiver with an ipod attachment cable which will be pretty cool to use. The receiver is replacing an older Blaupunkt so the nice thing is the plugs from the old receiver plug right into the new one - no rewiring:)

I also ordered some 14 guage speaker wire, but on getting it today the stuff looks pretty huge. The receiver puts out 18W channel, the speakers in the rear deck are 120W and the backseat are 40W - this is the setup I've always had though at one time I did have an amp in the car.

Question 1: Is 14 gauge wire really going to do anything or is it all for show? I'd rewire the speakers if I really thought it'd make difference but I don't think it will ... even if I add an amp later say a 100W channel amp for the rear speakers will 14 gauge wire really make much of difference? The current speaker wires are just a standard size.

Question 2: If anyone has an amp in their gtv6 or Alfetta where did you put it? When I last had one, I mounted it on it's side in the trunk.

Thanks all!

GV

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
realy bumping up the wire guage isnt going to make much diferance untill you start pushing enuf watts to use it.....imo the 14g wire isnt needed till your pulling 150+watts...as for an amp i see only 3 options
under the back seat, in the trunk, under the passenger seat....me personaly id mount it in the trunk on or neer a wheel well......course i love listening to the alfa engines sing and have not actualy used the radio/cd player in the gtv6 even tho its got a descent setup in it

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Hey Bud!

Good job going after it in the way that you did...

I just bought an ' 84 that is badly in need of some interior (and exterior) TLC. Problem is that I don't have enough money for this one (with everything else going on), to even call it a budget! Rather than recover the 84 seats, I may jus go with some OMP sport seats or something...

I like wha you did with the stock carpet though - this may be the way that I go about it.

Good job - more pics of the rest of the car please!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
realy bumping up the wire guage isnt going to make much diferance untill you start pushing enuf watts to use it.....imo the 14g wire isnt needed till your pulling 150+watts...as for an amp i see only 3 options
under the back seat, in the trunk, under the passenger seat....me personaly id mount it in the trunk on or neer a wheel well......course i love listening to the alfa engines sing and have not actualy used the radio/cd player in the gtv6 even tho its got a descent setup in it
I probably use the radio/cd less than half the time I'm driving the car, so even though sound quality would be better with an amp, I just don't know know if it's really worth the cost/time ...especially with the rear ansa exhaust :) Still it is nice having the extra punch ... decisions, decisions.

The carpet worked out really well, plus it still retains it's original look .. and didn't cost much. Will dig up some old or maybe new photos of the car, but JJ, compared to you guys who go through a whole car in 6 months I am on the slooooow boat, now 7 years and counting ...

GV

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
see i was in the same boat for a bit on sound as i like to have a sound setup that can drown out the drone of driveing...in the minivan i put in a fell set of sony explode`s and a 12disc to keep me happy...

the gtv6 well..me and the wife LOVE the sound of the car and have made several 200+mile drives in it and never once touched the radio...nothing like the sound of a singing italian engine

so what did you use to re-dye the carpet..rit dye?.......i know someone once re-dyed the carpet in the gtv6 cause one of the times i was cleaning the carpet i was pulling dye out of it

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
see i was in the same boat for a bit on sound as i like to have a sound setup that can drown out the drone of driveing...in the minivan i put in a fell set of sony explode`s and a 12disc to keep me happy...

the gtv6 well..me and the wife LOVE the sound of the car and have made several 200+mile drives in it and never once touched the radio...nothing like the sound of a singing italian engine

so what did you use to re-dye the carpet..rit dye?.......i know someone once re-dyed the carpet in the gtv6 cause one of the times i was cleaning the carpet i was pulling dye out of it
Yeah, I've always had the view that slow or boring to drive cars REALLY do need an awesome stereo just for that resaon.

Yes, RIT dye - not expecting it to really last through carpet cleanings - but over the years I can only think of a few times I had to clean a spot on the carpet before - I figure this should hold the car over for a couple more years and no matter what it is a huge improvement!

GV

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'd put the amp under the dash. My thinking is - you want to keep the low-level cables as short as possible (head unit to amp) to minimise electrical noise. The high level signal to the speakers doesn't need to be shielded.

Oh - I just realised the GTV6 has its battery in the trunk, is that right? If so, there's a dilemma because I suppose you might want to run a power cable from the battery to the amp (don't forget to put a fuse in it of course). But the general rule for audio gear is to keep line-level stuff short and shielded.

This might sound stupid but three-core mains wiring is very good for speakers, as long as the conductors are multi-stranded and not solid wire. With a pair of three-core runs you could combine the third wire of each to make a power cable back to your amp.

As a bonus it will have an outer jacket of tough insulation around the insulated wires, which gives it excellent longevity even if it rubs against parts of the body work. Fortunately it's extremely easy to run cables in a GTV compared to other cars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts