Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Alfa 164
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,
I recently acquired a Milano that was equipped with the 2.5 the previous owner completely tore down the engine for a rebuild and never put it back together, let it sit, and lost bolts and such.

I plan on eventually rebuilding the original engine however at a local junkyard a 1983 Alfa GTV6 with the 2.5 popped up. I’m considering buying the engine and swapping it in but was curious about if I would need to change anything on it ie motor mounts etc for it to fit in or if it would just straight drop in.
All advice is appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Is it a spider with a 2.0 4cylinder or a gtv6 with a 2.5. Those were the only 1983 US car models. If v6 it. It should be plug and play. Does your Milano still have all of the fuel injection and ignition parts and pieces? Otherwise you will need that stuff as well from the yard if they still have it.

·
Registered
1991 Alfa 164
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it’s a GTV6 and I do have all the injection ign bits but also the salvage yard engine also comes w them. I just thought there was a chance the mounts were different the yard is local but it’s a few hours away so I wanted to make sure I wasn’t going out there for nothing glad to hear it is a pull and drop though I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The 2.0L engine will be very underpowered for the Milano. I would invest your time, energy and money to rebuild the original 2.5L engine or find another, maybe even a 3.0L swap would be better.

·
Registered
1991 Alfa 164
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2.0L engine will be very underpowered for the Milano. I would invest your time, energy and money to rebuild the original 2.5L engine or find another, maybe even a 3.0L swap would be better.
The engine in the junkyard GTV is a 2.5 as stated in OP.

·
Administrator
14,459 Posts
I've corrected the the first post to say GTV6
Pete

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
This shouldn't affect you but there are differences in 2.5 V6's which I've never seen documented. When I put in a different 2.5 Milano engine in my Milano, I found that the engine flywheels were different and the flywheel I mounted ground on the engine block. I had to pull the flywheel and use the other, original flywheel or it would have been disaster. Something about the spacing and how far from the block the flywheel sits. So make sure you keep the engine's original flywheel.
The other difference is the oil drain hole/stud in the cylinder heads and block. There are different sizes.
It's in my build thread, complete with photos.
Like I said, you won't be affected by either of these unless you remove the flywheel to do the rear main seal and mix them up but others might save some late night tears by being aware of these issues.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
I believe the '83 GTV6 has a different ignition system than the Milano. You'll need to use the Milano system, which includes the distributor etc.

Bob, that is interesting about the flywheels. Wasn't aware of that.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
This shouldn't affect you but there are differences in 2.5 V6's which I've never seen documented. When I put in a different 2.5 Milano engine in my Milano, I found that the engine flywheels were different and the flywheel I mounted ground on the engine block. I had to pull the flywheel and use the other, original flywheel or it would have been disaster. Something about the spacing and how far from the block the flywheel sits. So make sure you keep the engine's original flywheel.
The other difference is the oil drain hole/stud in the cylinder heads and block. There are different sizes.
It's in my build thread, complete with photos.
Like I said, you won't be affected by either of these unless you remove the flywheel to do the rear main seal and mix them up but others might save some late night tears by being aware of these issues.
I believe the '83 GTV6 has a different ignition system than the Milano. You'll need to use the Milano system, which includes the distributor etc.

Bob, that is interesting about the flywheels. Wasn't aware of that.
When I put a 3.0 164 engine into my first GTV6, back in '96, I had a GTV6 2.5, a Milano 3.0, and a 164 3.0 side by side on the garage floor. It was really interesting to see the differences even between them. For one the block was shorter on the 164 engine, but not on the Milano, and the flywheels were different between them all.

It's been well documented over the years what you need to do when you fit a 164 engine to a GTV6 so I won't go into that here. But I was told by others subsequently that later 2.5 engines were similar to the 164, in that the block and crank are shorter than the early ones. I've always assumed this was related to packaging requirements in FWD cars, and while the 164 never had a 2.5 V6 perhaps it was easier to manufacture all engines on the line to the same size once they started gearing up for the 164.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a 2.5 that i believe may have originally come from a gtv6 in my milano. It had been in another milano before mine, so I don't know what milano items were transferred to it by the previous owner, but after installing it, I realized that it did not have provisions for the oil pressure idiot light or the oil level sender, only the oil pressure gauge sender.

You might want to swap the pan if you want to retain the oil level sensor (if your arc still works...). I think the port for the idiot light on the head is just capped off, but I couldn't get the plug out once the engine was in. Might want to take a look at this before installing the engine.

Al

Al

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,703 Posts
Don't bother with the oil level sensor, as most of them fail after a while anyway. Certainly the ones in our 91 164S and 89 Milano sure did. Just use the ever reliable dip stick.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Glad to hear that. Makes me feel better about not bothering to find one for my Milano.

Al

·
Registered
661 Posts
All GTV6 and alfa75/Milano blocks are the same and use the same engine mount points, crankshafts and flywheels from FWD 164's are different to allow for the pressure and clutch plates so a spacer is needed for correct stater motor alignment in RWD cars. Flywheels are balanced for each engine and should be considered matched sets. You won't need the earlier GTV6 ignition just use your Milano ignition and distributor fit the engine into the car it really is plug and play. I put an Alfa75/Milano engine in my GTV6 so there is no reason why you can't put a GTV6 engine in a Milano. The oil level sender hole is in the block some early gtv engines had the casting for the sender but did not have the hole drilled or tapped.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Its been a while since I installed my engine. The level sensor may well be in the block rather than the pan. Mine is of course nowhere.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Everyone keeps saying the 164 3.0L block, crank etc are shorter than a Milano, but a few years back I had both a Milano 3.0 and a 164S 3.0 engine all taken apart and was without doubt unable to find ANY difference in ANY of the parts, except the size of the bolts (I think it was the thtead pitch actually) which bolt the flywheel on. On the crank, all flanged surfaces were absolutely identical, as was the total length, block was identical in size, shape, length except the casting had different holes for the oil pan and engine mounts which I ended up fixing for by particular build.

However, I DO also have an early GTV6 2.5 engine as well, and guess what? totally different. My guess is they changed the blocks on both the GTV6 and Milano to use similar production lines when the 2.5V6 went into the 75/Milano in mid 1985...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts