Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Alfisti,

First post here on the forum, been around as a guest for many years but never bothered to register. Now the time has come to part with my red kammtail spider, so here she is.

Chose the car 3 or so years ago as my graduation present (slightly ironic?..), and it has been good to me ever since. I purchased the car from a retired gentleman in northern Wisconsin with around 80,xxx miles on it, put a little over 5k miles on it since. He mentioned to me that he was told he was the 2nd owner of the car, and that he had simply had it sitting unregistered and uninsured in his garage for nearly a decade, but, ofcourse, a carfax report I had done for the car some time ago contradicted details of that account; regardless, clean michigan title in hand. Went through every up and down, emotionally and driving-wise, with the car, and am very humbled to finally see her on the internet with serious intent of a sale.

The car is **** near bone stock, original 1982-everything. Paint is original, the entirety of the interior is original, not a rip or deep scratch to be seen on the texalfa. Not a bit of rust except on one of the convertible rails and the exhaust manifold. The block is testy with a cold start, but on 3-4 turns she starts right up and hums away. Motor is overall very clean but showing signs of aging, dry rot and leaks and cracks in plastic etc. The trans is so original, even the synchro for 2nd is shot! The quad discs will still turn the sump guard into a pretzel in half a second if you need to STOP. Perfect campagnolo magnesium alloys, even the spare. Threw a set of fresh Dunlop street radials first thing when I got her, about 1/3 to 1/2 tread left. She has a new cloth Hartz top and an aftermarket shiftknob. The car, as I'm sure you all know, begs to be driven by an adept driver just as any classic stock alfa sportscar would.

The bad news: The differential whines like a dying cat and will need a rebuild soon. Over the past couple weeks I've noticed the clutch getting tighter and tighter, probably (..hopefully) just needs to be bled and capped off. Also, leaks coolant fairly steadily, radiator appears to be cracked at the top. Wind & water leaks allover the place inside the cabin (but who expects a 30yr old spider to effectively shield them from the elements anyway..) ...And last but not least, the worst news, in my opinion, is the fairly significant dent directly on the front of the nosecone, and the spider/stress dents across the hood. I've done my best to tap and press them all out, invested countless hours of blood and sweat and tears and unholy language around little children.

So in conclusion, with the amount of driving that I do, my lack of funds in terms of the repairs & restorations the car needs, and the lack of space at grandma's garage, the Spider has to go. I'm Putting the car up for grabs here first because I would so much rather see it circulate back into a community of owners and drivers that I can be sure would appreciate the vehicle, instead of the anonymous eBay bidder or the goofballs in my grandmother's neighborhood who are skeptical of anything with 4 wheels that isn't made by the Big 3. I'm asking $4750 - $5k, but that's ballpark, and I'm willing to consider all offers, especially seeing as there is always a degree of subjectivity in terms of value with things like this. ...I'd even consider a trade arrangement of some sort, not that it's what I need to do, but I like to leave all of life's options available. I have more high res pics available of the car I can email as well. PM me

Cheers and Ciao,
-Paris G.
Chicago / Detroit

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
For the work it needs.. 2500 might get you some interest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sgtpepper: what leads you to believe the interior of the car is not original?..
(there's a dash cover and an aftermarket shiftknob.)

mark11077: Thank you for the evaluation, and like I said in the first post, I'm willing to consider All offers

·
Registered
763 Posts
Well, the red centers for the seats and the red door panels are not original equipment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm, I've seen countless other period-relevant spiders with that interior styling and even same colorway. But alas, I have no actual proof to the contrary, so you may in fact be, Or are, correct.

Thanks for the input as always

1 - 8 of 8 Posts