Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Alfa experts,

How much would a rebuild kit for a 1982 Spider set me back? Any suggestions on where to purchase a kit? Or will I have to get parts separately. I'm considering the purchase of a 1982 Spider with a weak 2nd gear and want to know what I'm in for....:)

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
There is no "kit" really. You just tear it down and replace the worn parts ig you can get them.

The 2nd gear grind is quite typical and barring any other real problems, can be fixed with no new internal parts, just some seals. I'm working my way thru a rebuild now (going slowly over the winter) and have a thread going to describe the work in process.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...mission-rebuilding-transmissions-dummies.html

It's not that big of a deal really. If you have decent skills and can get a press (Harbor Fright) you can do it at home.!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jon -- Great thread on the transmission rebuild. Thanks for taking the time to share it. It will make my life a lot easier. - C

·
Registered
411 Posts
Weflyem, You are very close to Tracy. APE in Tracy is a great place for used Alfa parts. Larry Jr is a very good trans rebuilder. He is a go-to for many bay area Alfa folks. John Norman in Berkeley will have the new parts that you will need.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi. I am in Martinez and did mine, myself. I needed a new second gear as the dog teeth were gone. I needed new shifter sleeves also as they were worn inside. With all these new parts, I got new synchro rings too as they weren't much more money compared to the rest.

APE will do an exchange for a refreshed one in trade for your old one, at least they used to.

It's easy to work on as you split the case rather than have to slide everything in one end like a 'tunnel' one. I didn't need to use a press although I have one.

But before you tear it apart, change the trans fluid to 70-90 NS redline synthetic, and the crunch may go away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Alfa experts,

How much would a rebuild kit for a 1982 Spider used transmissions set me back? Any suggestions on where to purchase a kit? Or will I have to get parts separately. I'm considering the purchase of a 1982 Spider with a weak 2nd gear and want to know what I'm in for....:)
I think you need ti purchase the parts separately. I am also looking for that 1982 spider set. I hope we would find it. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Importance of Proper Fluids

But before you tear it apart, change the trans fluid to 70-90 NS redline synthetic, and the crunch may go away.
Great suggestion about changing the fluid to Redline 70-90NS. I bought a 1988 Alfa Romeo Spider this summer (2011) that had 71,000 miles on it with no rust. The car did not come with paper work or history. In addition, the PO of 7-years could not/would not tell me anything. After purchasing the car, I had a local (non-Alfa mechanic) change all the fluids (transmission, oil, differential, coolant) without specifying the fluids. As a result, the Alfa I got back was an oil burner with an extremely noisy/whiny transmission that was difficult to shift and had a crunchy second gear. I figured I would drive the car, keep adding a quart every 400 miles and rebuild the transmission over the winter.

In September, I changed the oil to Valvoline VR-1 20W-50, the oil consumption is now 1 quart every 1500 miles.

In November (2011), after driving my Alfa 5,000 miles, I came across the thread: 82 Spider Transmission Rebuild. Per the advice, I changed the transmission fluid to Redline 70-90NS over Thanksgiving. I found a few tiny metal shavings as well as some heavy greasy gunk on the drain plug and the old transmission fluid was still “new” looking.

WOW! With the Redline 70-90NS in the transmission, the Alfa shifts smoothly, the first to second gear crunch is gone (still have to make a slight pause between 1st and 2nd), down shifting is smoother (still have to double clutch for 2nd gear), the transmission in neutral whine is gone and the transmission is quiet in all the gears. The only bad thing is that winter is expected to arrive in Chicago this week and my Alfa will be hibernating out of the weather until April 2012.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts